Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 GMC Wrecker - Sorta

I have been gone for a while, had a deployment, then retirement, and now I am starting to work on some kits again. I have been reading through many of the threads here, and one in particular gave me a huge amount of inspiration to go way outside my comfort zone, and do a completely non-stock build. I also enjoyed reading many of the back stories, so I decided to give it a go. 

So in the theme of post-apocalypse wrenching, I present the beginning of the story. So while driving there wrecker through the new world, the engine started to give out. While looking to find somewhere to hole up, they found an old big rig garage, and decided to change the engine out of the truck, sorta.

I have already done some additional work, will take photos once I get progress. I am thinking of changing the wheels/tires over to offroad, and I think I may keep the GMC frame, and mount it in a way that looks like they cut the front clip off, and lowered it on to the shortened truck frame.

One question, does anyone have photos or a link to any builds showing a "stock" peterbilt 359 conventional engine? I have never built one, but would like to keep some realism to the build....oh who am I kidding, I am trying to Cranky on this build...or somewhere between Cranky and Ira....

Thank you. I am working on it slowly, I primed the front bumpers after joining them, and I am working on re-doing the radiator using the zip tie trick I saw on here, not sure how it will turn out, but I am gonna try!

Some updates, not a lot, I need to re-do the radiator, it did not go according to plan...

I started on the front bumper, I drilled out the lights, glued in a couple of shoe rivets, and will run recovery chains or something similar through them later on. I tried to see how steady my hands were with the two lights, I can see I am not steady at all anymore.

Yes, small zip ties, I saw it on someone's build on here, thought I would give it a try, a thin strip of styrene was used to mount them, then a spray of satin plastic fusion, and a silver dry brush

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a little progress! I have been working on it slowly but surely, on to the photos

Long ways to go, this was my first attempt at using the salt technique, it wasn't too bad, but it is a challenge to not overdo it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a little progress, I am slowly working through the wrecker portion of the truck, hope to make some more progress today!

Salted the grill:

Salting the wrecker frame:

Catch all shot:

Rims sprayed with camo black:

Assorted parts I need to work on:

Have to finish cleaning the grille up from the salting:

Wrecker bed is almost done:

Wrecker frame, still needs a few areas hand painted and some more muck/mud:

Comments/criticisms are always welcome!

Got the majority of the semi frame together and painted today, a couple pictures:

Going to paint the other two tanks a different color to break everything up, my thought is someone doing this sort of work would spray everything in flat colors and make sure there was nothing shiny on the truck to attract attention, as though the entire thing wouldn't attract attention! Will do a brown wash on it tomorrow to give it the dirty appearance it deserves.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little more done on this one, here are a few pictures:

I had an issue with the primer I used as a base coat, it dried as it was spraying, but with the overall look, it looks like there was dirt on the hood and roof when the truck was painted, so I decided to leave it. I now some may not like it, I just thought it was unique, and didn't clean it off. Haven't seen many comments, but still slowly plugging away on this one.

I had thought about doing something like that, actually I had built a tank out of a large pill bottle to put between the bed and cab, but after I looked at it, this struck me as something different to do. Hopefully when I get a little further along, it will look more like what I have in mind, I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on this as time permits, I just keep forgetting to update.

I bought some washes and started trying to learn how to use them.

For some reason I can't get the washes to flow into just the right spots, I have had to brush it over the area and go back after it is dry with some brush cleaner on a qtip, and it cleans right off. Once I thought the washes looked good, I cleared it with a matte coat to even everything out.