Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tow Bars-Race Car

Was just curious if there were any kitted or resin '60 thru '70 era tow bars out there. In the day folks would hook there race car to the back of their daily driver and tow their track car to the strip.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Was just curious if there were any kitted or resin '60 thru '70 era tow bars out there. In the day folks would hook there race car to the back of their daily driver and tow their track car to the strip.

Most of the tow bars in the older kits were kind of thick and didn't look very good or in scale. With some of the products we have to work with now it might be better to just scratch build your own.   

Here is what I found, The AMT 63 vette kits had one both hardtop and conv, By 64 they must have one some races as the trailer was included.

amt63vette

amt64vette 

greg

Your post prompeted me to look at the AMT `63 Vette I have in my stash. It  is one of those kits that AMT recently re-poped . It appears AMT opted not to cast the tow bar as well as all the other goodies that appear in the instruction page you posted.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Back in the mid-60's a number of race cars were "flat towed" with a tow bar to the drag strip and trailers were just starting to gain popularity back then. Of course some guys just drove their car to the strip and put on slicks when they got there, and sometimes removed their exhaust systems, rear seats, spare tires, etc. and went racin'.

I think the AMT has a tow bar. The Revell Parts Pack drag cars also had them, in much thinner, more scale form.

It would be a fairly easy build. Don't forget to disconnect the drive shaft from the car being flat towed!

tow.jpg

towbars.jpg