Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just noticed something funny about the AMT Ford C-600

It was actually common for big medium and heavy duty trucks not to have shock absorbers.  I used to work as a tech in a Ford full-line dealership back in the 1960's and early 1970's, and once the truck got above the 500 series, shocks weren't even available.  And those trucks were heavy, even when unloaded.  They'd ride like a buckboard empty, but put 20,000 pounds on the back end, and they rode pretty well.

It was actually common for big medium and heavy duty trucks not to have shock absorbers.  I used to work as a tech in a Ford full-line dealership back in the 1960's and early 1970's, and once the truck got above the 500 series, shocks weren't even available.  And those trucks were heavy, even when unloaded.  They'd ride like a buckboard empty, but put 20,000 pounds on the back end, and they rode pretty well.

It still is common, at least on trailers with spring ride suspension. All the trailers I pull at work, there are no shocks on any of them and they are all spring ride versions of the Moebius Great Dane Smoothside. 

11856478_952952594768071_782682159306447

Don't mind the broken spring, it was the only picture I knew I had of a suspension under the Great Danes I pull! :lol: That thing sounded like a bomb going off when it broke!

Talk about pucker factor when that thing detonated. Geez......

Yeah, lost a little cushion in the seat that day!! :lol::lol::lol:

I was turning at an intersection when it let go, and I had the stereo on and it still was loud enough to hear over the radio! I even checked the footage on my dash cam after I got home that night after taking that trailer back to the warehouse (I was only 5 miles away from there when it broke) and having the load transferred to another trailer and finishing the run, and that "BANG" was so loud you could even hear it in the audio from the dash cam.