Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thoughts on any of the following

I was talking to a friend of mine over the weekend who wants to get back to car modeling again. He was asking about the assorted Muscle Cars kits out there. I told I'd ask on the boards some others thoughts. In doing some research we came across a few that piqued his interest:

AMT 1969 Firebird I AMT31808

Revell 1968 Ram Air Firebird REV85-2342

Revell 1970 Torino GT REV85-4099

AMT 1969 Mustang Resto Rods I AMT38375

AMT 1/25 1966 Ford Fairlane GT/GTA | AMT31935

Monogram 1/24 1970 Plymouth Road Runner | MONO85-0892

AMT 1/25 '67 Shelby GT-350 | AMT38492

AMT 1/25 1969 Hurst Olds Cutlass | AMT703

As always any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry

I can speak to only a couple of them.....well semi two of them as I built the '67 Mustang GT which is very closely related to the '67 Shelby. Mine built up fairly well construction wise as I can't think of any major issues that I had with it. The Shelby shouldn't give you much trouble, but since the basic kit is just like the regular Mustang, it may sit a bit too low in the rear end.

I remedied that but adding extra plastic on top of the sail panels which raises up the rear end a bit.

The other one is the '66 Fairlane which I built back in the '90's and I no longer have. No issues with that one either 'cept that body shape wise, the front and rear glass is not shaped quite like the 1:1. The windshield header sits a bit low, and the upper part of the rear glass does the same. To the casual observer this won't be a big deal, but of course I notice such things for good or bad almost immediately.

Construction wise, that one went together well with no issues, but once again, I thought that the front end on that one sat too high. I'd tweak it a bit if I were to build this one again someday-------make it sit lower like it should. 

I have a few of the others, but I can't speak to how they build as I've never touched 'em after all this time! :P

Hope this helps!

I was talking to a friend of mine over the weekend who wants to get back to car modeling again. He was asking about the assorted Muscle Cars kits out there. I told I'd ask on the boards some others thoughts. In doing some research we came across a few that piqued his interest:

AMT 1969 Firebird I AMT31808

Revell 1968 Ram Air Firebird REV85-2342

Revell 1970 Torino GT REV85-4099

AMT 1969 Mustang Resto Rods I AMT38375

AMT 1/25 1966 Ford Fairlane GT/GTA | AMT31935

Monogram 1/24 1970 Plymouth Road Runner | MONO85-0892

AMT 1/25 '67 Shelby GT-350 | AMT38492

AMT 1/25 1969 Hurst Olds Cutlass | AMT703

As always any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry

.....of the group of kits listed, and the fact this gentleman is jumping back in after many years away from it all.....I suggest the AMT 69 Firebird, which actually is the original MPC 69 Firebird. its a simple, yet crisp , little if any snags or problems to build, and, even though not up to all the rivet counters standards of todays so called amazing kits,,,it can yield an enjoyable, fun build as a stock piece, street beast, drag car,,,you name it. those kits are dime a dozen in many different boxes and issues, and usually can be bought cheap as well. the plating is usually quite nice, and the molds seem to still be in check because the kit is pretty clean, needing only minor clean up and such. it also has the hood and decals to build a 69 Trans Am as well, but the twin scoop 400 hood is included, as well as the OHC 6 cylinder engine too. I've personally built this kit, in various box art 4 times from 1969 to about 15 years back, and was pleased with them all....just my 2 cents....the Ace...:D

And some of us do know the spellings..its just not that important and if you don't  stop and read before posting then it mite be wrong.but I want to read what this thread is suppose to be about.....Chris 

AMT 1969 Firebird  - Ancient moulds ; lots of flash to clean up . On a good note : the Sprint OHC 6 is nice !

Revell 1968 Ram Air Firebird - Haven't built this one yet , but it seems to yield excellent results .

Revell 1970 Torino GT - I recommend the latest issue of this kit .

AMT 1969 Mustang Resto Rods - Ancient moulds ; lots of flash to clean up .

AMT 1/25 1966 Ford Fairlane GT/GTA - A very nice kit with a nice 390 FE , with options for a C6 or a Toploader .

Monogram 1/24 1970 Plymouth Road Runner - Has its roots in the 1982-issue Monogram 1970 GTX 440+6 . Updated in c.2003 ; Road Runner specific parts added ; gorgeous decal sheet .

AMT 1/25 '67 Shelby GT-350 - Not familiar ... If its roots are in the 1967 GT from c.1997 , then it's probably quite nice .

AMT 1/25 1969 Hurst Olds Cutlass - A very , very nice kit ! This one dates back to 1987 , which was the hobby's renaissance year . All-new tooling (which still looks great considering it's nearly 30 years old now !) . I don't know how many of this kit had its Hurst Dual-Gate arrangement pirated for other builds . Highly recommended kit !

Be forewarned on the R/M 68 Firebird Ram Air. If he choses to use the Blown Engine option, clearance when opening the Hood past the Blower Scoop is very,very tight. I had to tweak the hood fit to keep from knocking the scoop off. Other than that, it was a smooth, fairly easy build. Nice kit, until the dog sat on it..... :(

AMT 1969 Firebird  - Ancient moulds ; lots of flash to clean up . On a good note : the Sprint OHC 6 is nice !

Revell 1968 Ram Air Firebird - Haven't built this one yet , but it seems to yield excellent results .

Revell 1970 Torino GT - I recommend the latest issue of this kit .

AMT 1969 Mustang Resto Rods - Ancient moulds ; lots of flash to clean up .

AMT 1/25 1966 Ford Fairlane GT/GTA - A very nice kit with a nice 390 FE , with options for a C6 or a Toploader .

Monogram 1/24 1970 Plymouth Road Runner - Has its roots in the 1982-issue Monogram 1970 GTX 440+6 . Updated in c.2003 ; Road Runner specific parts added ; gorgeous decal sheet .

AMT 1/25 '67 Shelby GT-350 - Not familiar ... If its roots are in the 1967 GT from c.1997 , then it's probably quite nice .

AMT 1/25 1969 Hurst Olds Cutlass - A very , very nice kit ! This one dates back to 1987 , which was the hobby's renaissance year . All-new tooling (which still looks great considering it's nearly 30 years old now !) . I don't know how many of this kit had its Hurst Dual-Gate arrangement pirated for other builds . Highly recommended kit !

One I did forget. Any suggestions positive OR beware on the Monogram (or Revell) 1970 or 1971 Cuda's? That one comes from the recesses of my slightly off-kilter mind.

Revell old tool '70 'Cuda AAR? Forget it! Totally wrong shape!

The new tool one (released in the last few years) is very nice and while this is subjective, the shape is on par with the old MPC one. MPC's body is lacking in some areas while the new one got a couple things wrong such as the wheelwell flares, and the upper rear quarter window trim.

I've been told it builds nicely without much issue.

The Monogram '71 'Cuda is OK as far as it goes..........much older tooling (early '80's) yet a lot simpler to build. It's shape while questionable in some respects (roofline and the headlights are too far apart). It does build up very easily as I did one many years ago. I can't remember anything really untoward about it. I'd suggest that one more than the new tool '70 as it's easier to put together, especially for someone just getting back into the hobby.

Revell old tool '70 'Cuda AAR? Forget it! Totally wrong shape!

The new tool one (released in the last few years) is very nice and while this is subjective, the shape is on par with the old MPC one. MPC's body is lacking in some areas while the new one got a couple things wrong such as the wheelwell flares, and the upper rear quarter window trim.

I've been told it builds nicely without much issue.

The Monogram '71 'Cuda is OK as far as it goes..........much older tooling (early '80's) yet a lot simpler to build. It's shape while questionable in some respects (roofline and the headlights are too far apart). It does build up very easily as I did one many years ago. I can't remember anything really untoward about it. I'd suggest that one more than the new tool '70 as it's easier to put together, especially for someone just getting back into the hobby.

Since I haven't built one in like forever and my friend and I discussed this car. What about 1968-1971 Chargers. I must have built 3 or 4 General Lee's back in the day. 

Since I haven't built one in like forever and my friend and I discussed this car. What about 1968-1971 Chargers. I must have built 3 or 4 General Lee's back in the day. 

I built the MPC General Lee back when the TV show was on (early '80's) and even in my early years of building I didn't find that kit to be terrible to put together. Those were pretty straight forward, and if you don't mind the inaccurate body (it uses the Charger 500 roof which isn't correct for the General), that would be another one to consider.

Speaking of the 1:1 General Lee, back when that show was in its heyday one of our local tire stores was giving one of those away. Of course this was the replica and not the TV car, but I really would have liked one of those. Rebel flag notwithstanding! ;)

The only other Charger I've built is this one...............

P5050278.JPG

P5050282.jpg

Your friend's head would explode if he tried to do all of the detail that went into this one! So, I can't tell you how easy it is to put together, since it's far, far from box stock! :D

Others here might be able to give you more info on how it builds out of the box.

Edited by MrObsessive

Most of the kits you mention are pretty decent kits.  Part of the decision will rest upon which car he likes  the best.  I will also give a thumbs up to the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner and GTX kits.  (I think the 'runner is the only  current version.)  They're  not quite as flashy and fancy as some of the newer kits, but those older Monogram 1/24 kits all built up pretty well, and looked the part when they were finished.  I would also toss in a mention of the 1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee (Six bbl)  kit that shares a lot with the '70 Plymouth.  That's the kit that lured me back after a couple of years away and a hospital stay.  It went together like a charm and still looks nice on my shelf.  Someday I am going to build another one with steel wheels from Fireball.   You don't mention the Revell '69 Camaros, but they all go together nicely too.  They have the tub interior, but with side panels that fit inside of it.  It gives you an easy to detail interior with great detail, and eliminates alignment problems for the builder.  They come in several variations from the z-28, to all kinds of barn burning big blocks.  

Tell him, Welcome to the addiction...  I mean hobby...  from all of us. :D

Most of the kits you mention are pretty decent kits.  Part of the decision will rest upon which car he likes  the best.  I will also give a thumbs up to the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner and GTX kits.  (I think the 'runner is the only  current version.)  They're  not quite as flashy and fancy as some of the newer kits, but those older Monogram 1/24 kits all built up pretty well, and looked the part when they were finished.  I would also toss in a mention of the 1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee (Six bbl)  kit that shares a lot with the '70 Plymouth.  That's the kit that lured me back after a couple of years away and a hospital stay.  It went together like a charm and still looks nice on my shelf.  Someday I am going to build another one with steel wheels from Fireball.   You don't mention the Revell '69 Camaros, but they all go together nicely too.  They have the tub interior, but with side panels that fit inside of it.  It gives you an easy to detail interior with great detail, and eliminates alignment problems for the builder.  They come in several variations from the z-28, to all kinds of barn burning big blocks.  

Tell him, Welcome to the addiction...  I mean hobby...  from all of us. :D

Dave thanks. I just received the 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro in the mail today. Looking forward to building it shortly after I finish my 1970 Buick GS. Thanks for the suggestions.

One I did forget. Any suggestions positive OR beware on the Monogram (or Revell) 1970 or 1971 Cuda's? That one comes from the recesses of my slightly off-kilter mind.

In my opinion :

- Monogram ( now under the Revell moniker ) 1971 Hemi'Cuda . Originally released in 1982 , and reissued ad nauseam ever since . The first modified issue was in 1984 (the first 'street machine' version) ; it too has been reissued quite a few times . 2003 brought the then-named Nash Bridges convertible . That one has a much nicer interior and a more-comprehensive decal sheet ; however , it's still based on the original hardtop . It's a nice , simple kit to build . I recommend checking out others' builds of this kit under the Under Glass or On The Work Bench section of this forum , as simple corrections have been outlined there .

- Revell 1970 Hemi'Cuda Hardtop . All-new tooling ; lots of detail ; yields beautiful results. Personally , I wouldn't recommend it for some-one who's returning to the hobby , as it's got lots of small(er) parts , which can be frustrating to new-comers or returnees .

• 2 weeks later...