Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Tudor chopped,channelled,stovebolt 6!

Spex84

Here's an old unfinished built that is finally nearing completion. In 2009, I started a Revell '32 Tudor by chopping the top (my 2nd chop ever, and first sedan chop) and dropping it on a scratchbuilt frame with a Revell '41 Chevy PU stovebolt 6 engine. It was only my second build after re-entering the model car hobby in '09.
 The initial plan was to run straight pipes and have rear airbags and a very low stance, like the rat rods of the day but with nicer paint. I tossed around a number of ideas for paint color, from brown and black to metallic aqua and red. Eventually I settled on a Duplicolor metallic red.

In 2009 I didn't know where to get tall rear bias-ply tires, so I spent ages looking for discount toys and was ecstatic to find the 1:24 diecast T-bird tires for the rear. 6 years later, I know how many options are available online, and also which kits have the best traditional-style tires.

The build languished half-built for years, and last year I pulled it out to fix some problems with the paint, and chop the grille shell. Then it sat again. Finally this year I pulled it out and am assembling it. Because I didn't plan as well in 2009 as I do now, assembly has been frustrating and there were several minor disasters with glue and fitment. In the end, I've mounted the body higher than originally intended, and changed the exhaust to a set of sweeping dual pipes made from solder.

The original setup:

Building the frame:

Modifying the interior, scratchbuilt windshield frame:

How it sat for years:

Getting another coat of paint:

Updated exhaust made from solder:

How it stands today, just needs some radiator hoses and other small details:

• Like 1