Model Cars Magazine Forum

SUPPORT THE RPM ACT...protection of motorsports from gov't interference

Help prevent EPA Overreach and Support the RPM Act

The future of racing remains at risk! Support "The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2016" (RPM Act) to make clear that the Clean Air Act does not ban the modification of street vehicles for use in automotive competition. Help give the public and the racing industry much-needed certainty re: how the Clean Air Act is applied.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE SEMA SIGN-UP PAGE      https://www.votervoice.net/SEMA/campaigns/45394/respond      

Doesn't go far enough.  Need to continue to allow modifying street legal vehicles also.

Modifying emission-controlled vehicles emission-control devices and systems during the first 25 years (or so) after manufacture has been essentially illegal for a very long time.

This proposed law (the RPM Act) simply STOPS the EPA from banning production cars from being turned into pure racing cars...which they've been trying to push through with NO BASIS IN THE EXISTING LAW.

Two entirely different concepts...and I seriously doubt you're going to get the Fed to overturn the old thou-shalt-not-modify-emission-controls-on-the-street doctrine.

Some states are trying to push legislation that using any "Non production" parts on cars will be illegal.  The problem is that the law does not limit itself to Emissions. It is ALL parts.  This could be pushed to mean tires, wheels, air cleaner elements etc. This is a little different from what the EPA is doing but it leads down the same path and will come to fruition before people realize.

Along that line the EPA is a non elected group of people that are writing "Laws" that impact all people.  This is unconstitutional and should be dismantled.  Do they do some good? maybe, but the harm done can be argued also.

Catalytic's came into being in the early 70's so modifying cars that are 40+ years old is illegal.

Edited by GT4494

Catalytic's came into being in the early 70's so modifying cars that are 40+ years old is illegal.

Well, yes and no. States have overlapping jurisdiction as far as emissions equipment goes. Here, after a vehicle is 25 years old, it no longer is subjected to any form of emissions testing or inspection. Hence, it's perfectly legal by the letter of the state law to modify anything. 

There are so few 25+ year-old vehicles on the road that the state doesn't see the need to clamp down on the ones that there are...also possibly realizing that most of the old-timers aren't in daily use anyway, and add almost nothing to air pollution. This is a remarkably logical and enlightened stance from a government agency.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that "the EPA is a non elected group of people that are writing "Laws"...". They, and NHTSA often don't really know what they're doing when they pass these things into existence either. As an example, the whole 5-mph bumper fiasco was found to actually cost much MORE money, both in initial vehicle purchase price and to repair vehicles after collisions, than it was intended to save. The 5 mph bumper "law" was based on flawed data, and poor interpretation of the data they had. But of course, they'll never admit to that. The standard now is 2 mph, by the way...based on findings in the real world that the 5-mph standard accomplished nothing but adding cost.

The often knee-jerk actions of essentially uninformed, technically ignorant and lazy bureaucrats is a very real and widespread problem, not just affecting the automobile industry.

As of 2014, the EPA employed around 16.000 people. 16,000. The agency exists primarily to continue its own existence by doing meaningless "work" that could be handled by a staff only a fraction of the size.

Consider that the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), connected to Cal Tech in Pasadena, employs only 5000 or so folks...a bunch of pretty smart people involved in finding out NEW things (like interplanetary exploration and tracking of Near Earth Objects) that may be extremely important to humankind in the future, not just making up BS rules based on a foggy understanding of reality and political pressure like the EPA does.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Its good to see that we are on the same page.  I currently have two "Classics". A Model A and an 84 Mustang GT350 20th anniversary edition.  They both use 1-3 tanks of gas per YEAR (its hard to keep everything going since I still work full time). 

The Model A burns the same type of gas it was designed for and the Mustang has no cats.  In some states they would both be confiscated and destroyed. I'm OK with this if the people of the state voted for it.

There should be no Federal laws concerning this issue.  This is a state issue and if the people in a state want it fine, just leave the rest of us alone.  A war was fought over things like this.  :) 

The Model A burns the same type of gas it was designed for and the Mustang has no cats.  In some states they would both be confiscated and destroyed. I'm OK with this if the people of the state voted for it.

To the best of my knowledge, no states are actually confiscating and destroying pre-emissions vehicles. If they ARE, we really need to stop it.

The ridiculous "cash for clunkers" program came the closest (as far as I know) and it was voluntary...a completely misguided and ignorant knee-jerk attempt to inject some life into slow American automobile sales,

I'm sure as hell NOT OK with confiscation and destruction of MY PERSONAL PROPERTY just because some power-mad paper shufflers say so...even if it was voted for by a bunch of ignorant sheep.

These old vehicles POSE NO THREAT TO ANYONE'S HEALTH or SAFETY, and should be left the hell alone.

There is NO logical reason to mess with the freedom to enjoy and occasionally operate old vehicles other than a blatant and pathetic need to CONTROL people far beyond anything that's rational.

Some states are trying to push legislation that using any "Non production" parts on cars will be illegal.  The problem is that the law does not limit itself to Emissions. It is ALL parts.  This could be pushed to mean tires, wheels, air cleaner elements etc. This is a little different from what the EPA is doing but it leads down the same path and will come to fruition before people realize.

Along that line the EPA is a non elected group of people that are writing "Laws" that impact all people.  This is unconstitutional and should be dismantled.  Do they do some good? maybe, but the harm done can be argued also.

That'll be pure joy for someone like me where GM has discontinued almost everything and the tires for my cars are now almost extinct, leaving me few options. 

Roadmaster: General Ameri-Tech STs were stock. Discontinued years ago. I'm actually lucky I can get anything at all for my car. 

Lumina: I can still get BFG Touring T/As, and I think they were one of the OE tires. If not, they're the closest thing available, but I like whitewalls, and I'm running those, so that's an even greater infringement on my choice as a consumer. 

Any moron that would vote for a law that over-reaching is deserving of a recall election, and if it's some bunch of stuffed-shirts who aren't elected that did it, I suspect every junkyard, car dealer, garage and whoever else makes a living off of older-model cars with no factory support would be screaming for heads, along with hobbyists and other parts manufacturers, such as Honeywell (Fram, Autolite, and a few other aftermarket labels,) NAPA and a host of others. 

I signed onto support of the RPM law a few months back. Remind your Congress-Critter that they work for you, and not a special interest, and most certainly not some idiot paper-pusher in a bureaucratic morass. 

I will agree with Bill on other subject: when the government tries to seize my personal vehicles because it doesn't comply with some greenie-goblin, PC nonsense, and they attempt that with a lot of other people- can you say "revolution?" If they take cars, what's next? I don't want to find out. 

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

The hysteria builds....too funny!

Which hysteria would that be?

Oh, you must mean the lack of complacency while the government becomes more and more needlessly intrusive. 

You know...one of the characteristics of sheep is to follow along mindlessly, bleating, but articulating nothing.  

Too funny!    :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy