Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thoughts About The Message Boards, Model Building An Life In General...

You guys don't see me much on the message boards lately. As much as I enjoy time spent here and a few other boards, theres just not enough hours in the day!

Lately my priorities are:

Work

Family and home

Work

Building Models

Work

and Message boards.

(gotta lighten up on that Work Thing!!!)

What little spare time I have has to be at the bench. I may not build the best stuff but I'm enjoying it a lot more lately! I've been completing quite a few (8 last year) because of a few concessions I've made lately. NO PAINT STRIPPING, Less modifications and body work, even a few Box Stock builds. I've also reined myself in with starting new projects, as painful as that sounds. Lately I concentrate on one at a time, maybe doing a little prep on the next project. I've come to realize that my abilities (and eyesight!) have peaked and now I build for the pure pleasure of it! I still come up with the occasional trick, but mostly its just building the stuff I've been wanting to build for years!

I'll never give up on the message boards... I've made too many friends online to quit... but I realize that I have to spend my free time wisely.

As it is now, I troll the boards for inspiration (and there's a lot of it out there!) and the occasional comment here and there, mostly to people I already know.

Being an old retired guy, I could spend all day either on this board or building, but I don't.

Xmas before last one of my grand kids gave me a model A kit. I hadn't touched a model in 40 years. Went to the local hobby shop to pick up some tube glue and brush paint. Noticed Model Car Magazine, looked through it, picked up a copy, came home and subscribed. Found the forum and signed up. The help, advice, tips, and general attitudes of members here have given me a renewed interest in building again, but not a compelling one.

I log on each morning while listening to sports talk radio. I may post a question or just look at what's being built or completed. I may or may not comment or answer a question. I may or may not work on my current project.

I agree. It is a hobby. Something to do in ones spare time that is enjoyably. The fact that when you are done, you have something in your hands that is, hopefully a little bit nicer than the last one is a bonus.

I will never reach the level of skills that I see here on a regular basis, but I don't care. Again, it is a hobby.