Model Cars Magazine Forum

Saved from the crusher

Lovefordgalaxie

The nice fictional story:

This poor Ford was parked on a field for the last 22 years. Before that, the car was inside a barn since 1968. The original owner kicked the bucket, and the old wife had no clue how to drive. The only time she tried, she hit a small implement with the passenger door. Since the car was the husband's pride and joy, to the barn it went. In 1994, the barn was in sorry shape, and a tile fell on the trunk lid. After that, the car was pushed outside. Over the years once proud Inca Gold and Colonial paint faded, and got thin. The primer started showing as the paint was washed by the rain. The windows were all closed, but even tough, the rear window started to leak due to some rust, and the trunk floor got a little thin. The rain also found a way inside the car trough the worn rubber seals between the front and rear windows, and some rust appeared on the floors, where the feet of the rear passengers would stand. 

Early this year, a Ford maniac finally convinced the 92 year old woman he could take good care of the Ford, and after trying to buy the Fairlane for the last 18 years, finally the car was his. 

Four stuck brake drums didn't made the job of flat bedding the car home any easy, but when the guy turned the engine by hand and it turned free, the work kind of felt a lot less hard. 

A good pressure wash took care of the grime, and revealed a surprisingly solid car, with almost only surface rust. The only holes were on the rear floors, and trunk floor. The chrome was far from perfect, but it was all there, with the exception of one of the beautiful stainless wheel covers that got stolen. The original tires were dry rotten and were useless. 

On the best tradition of guys like Daniel Restodan (youtubber that brings those '50s cars back to life: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNknbpUVMREpa-e396YkKkQ the Ford was brought back to life. Nothing a rebuilt carburetor, a rebuilt water pump, new hoses, new belts, new shocks, new exhaust, a new gas tank, some new Firestones from Coker, a couple of oil changes, new brakes, new fluids, a new battery and a couple of more details coudn't do. 

The old Ford is once again on the road. 

The real story:

Bought this 1957 Ford as a incomplete kit online. Every time I see a AMT '57 Ford I just have to buy it. It's my all time favorite kit. 

This one was missing the stock tires, the engine, the steering column, the steering wheel, and the chrome parts were bad. The chrome was full of bubbles. I cast a resin copy of the stock engine from one of my '57 Ford kits, and scratchbult the steering column. The steering wheel came from my parts box, and the tires are resin cast.

The cast engine:

27121473775_245cbc5f9d_c.jpgResin Casting by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

The tires: 

27259551075_2d57719d54_c.jpgResin castings. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

The completed car:

27366126775_e08407837c_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27332603556_f84b234eb5_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27332605176_d17758686d_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27366139695_de03e225ec_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27366144795_8629553b49_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27366146345_b2ccaa6214_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27268508992_a6b6de4438_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27295449481_120706b541_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27268514982_0c89bf694a_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

26758604924_702875383d_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27332629096_b3c411348b_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

27332630936_c0f528b7ed_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Saved from the Crusher. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie
Link was wrong.

Thanks guys!! 

I wanted to make a weathered '57, as I plan on building a '57 Ford collection diorama, to place all my cars on. It will be a big garage, with a transparent roof.

Looking at the pictures, I noticed I forgot to touch up the horn ring... It came from my parts box along with the wheel, and the blue plastic was showing... Already fixed that. 

Guess I'll quit building other cars and stick with '57 Fords. 

Great job!  I usually skip the patina cars, but this one has a reason for being that way.  You really made it realistic without overdoing it.  A long time ago, a club built several models of a fictional Chevelle during its lifetime.  One guy built it showroom stock, complete with a window sticker.  Another guy built it slightly weathered with a couple of upgrades under the hood and fresh replacement tires.  The next guy built it with a small dent and a little more weathering and a FOR SALE sign in the window.  The next one had fat tires, ripped seats and half of the J.C. Whitney catalog installed.  This continued until the car was modeled sitting in a field rusted and stripped.  The last guy built the restored version.  

It sure would be fun to see your story continued.  Did the Fairlane get restored?  Did it get customized?  Did "Pimp My Ride" rebuild it with wild paint and all kinds of electronic gadgets?  What color did it end up getting painted?  What did it look like when it was new?  The possibilities are endless!  I have threatened to build two or three models showing the life of a car, but I will probably never actually get around to it.  (It would have to be a kit I really liked!)  

Did the Fairlane get restored?  Did it get customized?  Did "Pimp My Ride" rebuild it with wild paint and all kinds of electronic gadgets?  What color did it end up getting painted?  What did it look like when it was new?  The possibilities are endless!  I have threatened to build two or three models showing the life of a car, but I will probably never actually get around to it.  (It would have to be a kit I really liked!)  

Well, if she were a 1:1, yes, she would be restored back to bone stock, and that includes the factory colors. 

I would love to build the life of a car, and if I ever do this, the car will be a '57 Ford for sure. 

I already know how she looks brand new, as I built it already!!

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr