Model Cars Magazine Forum

Separating 2017 Ford GT Body

The body shell on the Ford GT is molded in two parts, and glued together by the factory with what appears to be a liquid solvent cement. Clever way to get the shape, but makes it difficult to repaint. It's glued in four spots, but can be separated without destroying it. The first two spots are behind the front wheel arches. I just wedged a chisel blade under them and twisted til they popped loose. The roof took a little more work since it was glued near the top of both A pillars. I took the chisel blade out of the handle, and slipped it through the back window opening, under the header.

I used a small hammer to tap the blade into the glue joins, working it across the joins til they popped loose. Went back in and sanded the glue marks smooth.

This kept all the structure intact, and it fits back together nice and tight so the glass fits correctly. And now it'll be much easier to paint and polish.