Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hummer H1, Meng Models

Sign me up!!!

Good choice for Meng in general, they'll easily be able to "shrink" it down to 1/35 for that market in the future, and having all the doors hinge will make it easy to make military variants without doors, or the up-armored versions with the beefier doors.

As for the price...well you get what you pay for, and I'm about done with $20 model kits and the mediocrity they breed our of budgetary necessity. 

I talked with one of the mechanics at work tonight that is not only a modeler, but also served in the Army working on the military spec H1 and also worked in a GM garage, and found that these era Hummers have the same GM diesel as the Chevy and GMC trucks of the early 90s. I'm seeing a few of these in my future, and a couple of the diesels finding there way into some of the early 90s Chevy duallys I have in the stash!:D

I talked with one of the mechanics at work tonight that is not only a modeler, but also served in the Army working on the military spec H1 and also worked in a GM garage, and found that these era Hummers have the same GM diesel as the Chevy and GMC trucks of the early 90s. I'm seeing a few of these in my future, and a couple of the diesels finding there way into some of the early 90s Chevy duallys I have in the stash!:D

Great minds think alike. :P

The late H1s got the Duramax diesel which would not be as useful since we don't have any late model Chevy trucks to put it in.

And it'd be what, 'round 70 bucks?

I'm trying to remember the last evening out for two you could get at that price.  Heck, dinner even.

A trip to In and Out Burger shouldn't cost more than $20 Chuck, even if you add in ice cream!  LOL

I think I will have to make room in my budget for one of these.

I wouldnt hold your breath, we are still waiting for Meng to follow up the F350 with a dually version :lol:

:lol:

I'm actually curious since their first offering was Blue Oval and now this being a GM licensed product and both being diesel powered, if maybe something with a Ram's head in the grille and a Cumapart under the hood may not be in the crystal ball??? :huh: 

If so, here's my little 2 cents for the suggestion box if a heavy duty Ram would be tooled as the Ford was with separate bedsides, add about 14 extra pieces to the kit: 

2 dually bedsides

6 stock dually wheels

2 extra tires

4 optional Alcoa style outer dually wheels. 

If that was just done even with the Ford, that one kit would yield 4 variants of the truck. 

:lol:

I'm actually curious since their first offering was Blue Oval and now this being a GM licensed product and both being diesel powered, if maybe something with a Ram's head in the grille and a Cumapart under the hood may not be in the crystal ball??? :huh: 

If so, here's my little 2 cents for the suggestion box if a heavy duty Ram would be tooled as the Ford was with separate bedsides, add about 14 extra pieces to the kit: 

2 dually bedsides

6 stock dually wheels

2 extra tires

4 optional Alcoa style outer dually wheels. 

If that was just done even with the Ford, that one kit would yield 4 variants of the truck. 

I think we all expected them to do the dually by now, anyways,  you know if they added all those extra 14 parts, the price would would go up a little bit, and you know what that leads too, but that would be a heck of a kit no less.

A trip to In and Out Burger shouldn't cost more than $20 Chuck, even if you add in ice cream!  LOL

I think I will have to make room in my budget for one of these.

You're absolutely right, Mike!  It seems from the initial version of that post to the final, I left out the word "decent". :)

I think we all expected them to do the dually by now, anyways,  you know if they added all those extra 14 parts, the price would would go up a little bit, and you know what that leads too, but that would be a heck of a kit no less.

Yes Jonathan, but if it would have meant I would have paid $60 or even $65 for basically what would be a "2 in 1" kit instead of the $56 I paid for each of the 4 F350s in my stash, I would have in a heartbeat. I also would have more than just 4 in the stash, 2 of the ideas I already have already mean I have to get dually wheels for one and the resin dually conversion available for the other. 

Yes Jonathan, but if it would have meant I would have paid $60 or even $65 for basically what would be a "2 in 1" kit instead of the $56 I paid for each of the 4 F350s in my stash, I would have in a heartbeat. I also would have more than just 4 in the stash, 2 of the ideas I already have already mean I have to get dually wheels for one and the resin dually conversion available for the other. 

Oh, I was in total agreement with you if they would of done it that way.

Oh, I was in total agreement with you if they would of done it that way.

I know you were! :lol: That was more to enlighten, I'm sure there are probably some that would say "Those kits are too expensive as it is, more parts would just make it more expensive!", but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". I would rather pay $60 for one Meng F350 dually if it was made or even as the case is pay more for the resin dually conversion that available to build trucks that are still commonly seen on the road every day than $20 to $30 for yet another 1987-1991 Revellogram F350 dually reissue. The haters will probably argue "Those are still common on the road too" and that is true, I own a 1:1 1990 dually myself, but with a half a dozen of the Revellogram kit in my stash already, I'd rather have a few newer duallys. :D

I know you were! :lol: That was more to enlighten, I'm sure there are probably some that would say "Those kits are too expensive as it is, more parts would just make it more expensive!", but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". I would rather pay $60 for one Meng F350 dually if it was made or even as the case is pay more for the resin dually conversion that available to build trucks that are still commonly seen on the road every day than $20 to $30 for yet another 1987-1991 Revellogram F350 dually reissue. The haters will probably argue "Those are still common on the road too" and that is true, I own a 1:1 1990 dually myself, but with a half a dozen of the Revellogram kit in my stash already, I'd rather have a few newer duallys. :D

Exactly. I love the Revell F350 because it has so much potential but more variety would be nice. I would be happy with even srw versions of modern trucks that are detailed. My Meng F350 will be getting the resin dually conversion. Hopefully Mengs 1/24 kits sell good here in the US and maybe they will start exporting here directly. So far they are picking subjects that the US companies have ignored. Sure there are a couple Hummer kits already available but not to the detail level this will be. I'm not a big fan of the Hummer but I will get one or more of these kits  I would probably modify it to have the open bed. I think this kit should provide the resin casters with plenty of work creating new tire and wheels at the least.

Even with the glaring problems the Meng F350 has I still like the kit.

Though Hummers aren't exactly my cup of tea, I will probably be picking one up given Meng's track record of attention to detail. I'm thinking I can replicate the Border Batrol's BORSTAR/Rescue Hummer.

Though Hummers aren't exactly my cup of tea, I will probably be picking one up given Meng's track record of attention to detail. I'm thinking I can replicate the Border Batrol's BORSTAR/Rescue Hummer.

I would probably do BP version too