Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hummer H1, Meng Models

The kit hasn't even been released yet and already they're offering an upgrade kit...

http://meng-model.com/new.php?id=605

This makes sense and also reflects on Meng's background of military models where aftermarket extras are very common.

Not everybody interested in the Hummer kit will want to build an off road expedition hummer with storage racks, snorkel, off road lights etc. Many will want to build it OOB as the common Suburban Mall Commandos personal vehicle. Including the add on bits in the kit would add considerably to the price of an already expensive kit. The fact the upgrade kit is resin, not plastic suggests to me that they expect the base kit to sell in much larger numbers than the upgrade kit.

While not unwanted on my part, that kit IMHO is a few decades too late, cuz the interest in this subject peaked, when Arnold Schwarzenegger / ex-governator had one.

It's kinda up there with a mid '90s Ford Bronco ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

While not unwanted on my part, that kit IMHO is a few decades too late, cuz the interest in this subject peaked, when Arnold Schwarzenegger / ex-governator had one.

Production ended in 2006. So perhaps it might be a decade too late. But these things are still all over the U.S. In Light Commercial applications. The actual H1 was a pretty expensive vehicle as well (as compared to the full size truck based H2 and small pickup based H3), and is still a bit of a collector's item.

Newer than a '57 Ford by several decades, and I'd be quite pleased with a mid 90s Ford Bronco. :) 

And it'd be what, 'round 70 bucks?

I'm trying to remember the last evening out for two you could get at that price.  Heck, dinner even.

Give me 70 bucks and I could throw an evening's worth of entertainment for 70 people. All depends on who you know, and possibly how far you want to dive into the weird end of craigslist. 

Not that I'd know. A guy at work told me. Yeah... that's it. 

If they did a mid-90s Bronco they could do an OJ version, fit well w/ the Round 2 TV/Movie cars..

:lol:

And actually, since the Revell 80-86 Ford Bronco most commonly found in the Mach 1 racing boat sets is a 1/25th scale, and AMT made at least 3 separate versions of the 92-96 F150 (longbed, shortbed, and Flareside), a 92-96 Bronco is not completely out of the realm of possibility. A little front clip work and swapping a few interior pieces to both, and one could have O.J.'s Bronco and an 80-86 F150, and just don't forget to swap the taillights too. The taillights were the same shape and size, just the older had four "sections" (for lack of a better term or description) molded into the lens and the newer 87 to 96 lenses were smooth. 

:lol:

And actually, since the Revell 80-86 Ford Bronco most commonly found in the Mach 1 racing boat sets is a 1/25th scale, and AMT made at least 3 separate versions of the 92-96 F150 (longbed, shortbed, and Flareside), a 92-96 Bronco is not completely out of the realm of possibility. A little front clip work and swapping a few interior pieces to both, and one could have O.J.'s Bronco and an 80-86 F150, and just don't forget to swap the taillights too. The taillights were the same shape and size, just the older had four "sections" (for lack of a better term or description) molded into the lens and the newer 87 to 96 lenses were smooth. 

I have an MPC '82 Bronco ( never had the Revell one, the MPC one was reissued around 10-12 years ago) and an AMT '93 F150 with this conversion in mind.  There is also a resin one out there...

Edited by Rob Hall

I have an MPC '82 Bronco ( never had the Revell one, the MPC one was reissued around 10-12 years ago) and an AMT '93 F150 with this conversion in mind.  There is also a resin one out there...

I had forgotten MPC had one too. 

And what about all the other subjects that are past their peaks?

Edited by martinfan5

• 1 month later...

This came up for Pre-Order on HobbyEasy this morning with an initial delivery date of 8/25 (take with the same grain of salt as any other initial release date).

Price is $41.99, with the resin detail up set going for just under $14.

Upon initial glance it appears that H.E. might be the low cost alternative on this one. But until 1999 (Hobby Search) or HLJ lists that's not gospel. However the ¥ is pretty strong right now (103 to 1) which makes the screaming deals we've been getting pretty much fade away.

This came up for Pre-Order on HobbyEasy this morning with an initial delivery date of 8/25 (take with the same grain of salt as any other initial release date).

Price is $41.99, with the resin detail up set going for just under $14.

Upon initial glance it appears that H.E. might be the low cost alternative on this one. But until 1999 (Hobby Search) or HLJ lists that's not gospel. However the ¥ is pretty strong right now (103 to 1) which makes the screaming deals we've been getting pretty much fade away.

I have a feeling that Hobby Easy is going to be the low cost alternative for this as well.

Still makes one $60.oo!!!!

And it will probably be $80 in a Hobby Shop.

Subject matter is subjective, plenty of people wouldn't blink an eye to pay that much for a Modelhaus transkit, or a promo, or a vintage kit, or ten $8 Ollie's kits they already have 7 copies of...

• 11 months later...

Hey guys new to this forum. I usely do 1/50 scale construction attachments I bought a few of these hummer kits to make upgraded parts for them. I also plan on making a 4 door hardtop conversion. So far I have designed some new wheels and tires and I am almost done with the rear bumper. 

What do you think so far?

Jason

IMG_20170627_154130_255.jpg

IMG_20170627_154704_563.jpg

IMG_20170627_154704_558.jpg

IMG_20170627_154704_561.jpg

IMG_20170627_193521_923.jpg