Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Ford Woody - Finished !

Intmd8r

Whatching paint dry is boring, so I always seem to have 2-3 builds in progress.  Why not one more?

Had a lot of fun lately painting wood grain on my recent '30 Woody, so I bought a '31 and '41 to add to my collection.  Here's the kit:

photo image_zpsumxxhrax.jpeg

Here's the "progress":

photo image_zpsuwq3mv3x.jpeg

The color is brighter than what I was expecting, but I can work with that.  The inspiration is a Hot Wheels '40 Ford Woody that I had as a kid.  I no longer own it, so I will be workign from memory lol.

This will be a slow build, but I will post pics randomly from time to time.  Should be fun!

Edited by Intmd8r

Now its time to focus on some wood.  My biggest complaint so far on this kit is the lack of wood grain molded onto the Woody body.  I suppose thats fine if you're using decals, but that's not what we're doing here.

So the first step is to take out the knife and cut some curves and swirls:

photo image_zps4b3straj.jpeg

Looking better:

photo image_zps8izmi4b2.jpeg photo image_zpsaiwme3sl.jpeg photo image_zpspaeckqeu.jpeg photo image_zpsblffgkqq.jpeg

Look forward to your "wood" treatment on this. I have always just used different pen drawings and paint dabs and clear orange or yellow top coat. This looks like it would be far more interesting.  

Look forward to your "wood" treatment on this. I have always just used different pen drawings and paint dabs and clear orange or yellow top coat. This looks like it would be far more interesting.

Thanks - things will make a bit more sense when I poste the next few steps.  Bear with me tho - the computer keeps locking up on me when I try to upload the pics.

Next is the shading.  For this I used Raw Umber.  If you are skilled with an air brush, this would be a great time to flex your skills.  Since I don't own a workign air brush - I did mine the old fashion way.

photo image_zpsw3ivmoua.jpeg photo image_zpsghwa7lmk.jpeg

Almost done - this is my favorite step as this is were the results start to happen. 

Applying the Tamiya clear (yellow or orange depending on the look) makes all the difference.

photo image_zpspfkj5lzi.jpeg photo image_zpsvclt8d4l.jpeg photo image_zps6umxcvwz.jpeg photo image_zpsh5d5qscw.jpeg photo image_zpszcqrxqlv.jpeg

Still a little more work to be done, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far.

Can we assume there will be some wiping way of excess paint soon?

There is a little clean up to be done on the body, but the masking tape took care the majority of the mess.

I don't feel like I used "excessive" amounts of paint for the wood portion, but I did watch some tutorials on YouTube that would lead you to beleive otherwise. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I've seen many ways on how to paint wood. A lot of useful tips out there from skilled builders. I'm just posting my budget way of doing things. This is only my 2nd Woody, but I've done a few experiments with smaller parts with consistent results. It's surprisingly easy.

I believe the Internet has made me a better builder - feels good to his back some tips.

I did mean to indicate that you were using excessive amounts of paint only that some of my own techniques involve more paint than needed thus requiring some wiping off in some areas untill the desired effect is achieved.I may try your wood graining tech on plastic but am somewhat concerned about the raised grain look I see.I am wondering if a little sanding prior to the application of paint might lessen that look.

I regularly use the old exactly blade tech on hardwood and always sand then color stain and varnish on my projects.

To answer your question Tom, no-I did not remove any paint or do any sanding. I could have, but I didn't feel like it was necessary here. It wasn't as bad in person as it seemed in the first few pics.

For sure there are many ways to achieve the look. Most of which probably get better results. Just posting what I've done on this build. It's within my skill set and is relatively cheap and easy to do.

You've done a good job at represnting a car that's a few years old with the darker framing timbers. 

I might suggest using light umber for the lighter wood, and possibly lighten the dark umber a shade or two, and maybe add a little red to make it look more like mahogany, but I really like the overall technique you've illustrated. 

Charlie Larkin

• 1 month later...

Started work on the Woody again.

Progress on the chassis, engine, and interior.  Wasn't satisfied with the paint, so I gave it a couple more coats of paint.

The sunset last evening was perfect for pics, so I snapped a couple of the car.  Pics are after paint, prior to polishing.  Lots of work to be done still, as with some minor touch ups.

photo image_zps24bmqm6f.jpeg photo image_zpsmuruiudc.jpeg photo image_zpsi674w8av.jpeg photo image_zpsky1qzdij.jpeg photo image_zpsgu0qa7qh.jpeg photo image_zpswvdcl0vr.jpeg