Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 K5 Blazer Personal Style

It's been awhile since I've had time to get on the site especially with all the personal spring projects I've had to get done. This is a project I worked on through the winter and just got completed a few weeks ago. I didn't take the time to document all the mods and details that went into it. And normally I would have done a workbench post, but I just didn't have the time this past winter to do my normal workbench posting. But I thought I would at least post it here in the under glass area.

I did  this Blazer project to be kinda what junior would have done with it back in the 80's after pop handed it down to him.

Starting with the AMT reissue 72 K5 Blazer Kit. I combined it with a few parts from the Revell snowplow pickup kit. Also modified the front and rear seats from a revell 69 camaro convertible kit to give the interior the kind of customization junior would have wanted in his ride. I didn't want a full blown custom, just the kind of changes a just out of high school young man would have taken the summer to do. I modified the front bumper to add the correct turn signals by splicing in the turn signals from a left over 66 nova bumper. The exhaust is scratch made from aluminum tubing from the Local Hobby Store and aftermarket cherry bomb style mufflers. Normally I would fully detail the chassis with fuel and brake lines, but elected to go the simple route on this build. But I did take the time to add working front steering. I scratch made a radiator and fan shroud. and also modified the kit supplied heater core to give a a more proportional look. I also added some mild under the hood detailing.

I've never been great at getting a black paint job to turn out very well. But this one didn't turn out to bad. I did adjust the height of the suspension. The stock suspension sat way to high for juniors taste so it was lowered and modified to give it a raised but not the high in the sky look it had with the kit suspension. 

Anyways It will take me a few posts here to get all the pics up.

Thanks got looking everyone.DSCN0194

DSCN0195

DSCN0146

DSCN0141

DSCN0191

DSCN0197

More pics in next post.

Good Morning and thanks for all the nice comments guys. It was a fun build. Took me most of the winter to build. It's my first truck build in many years. I hope to find time soon to get another project started this summer once all the honey do lists are out of the way and I get my hobby room cleaned up.