Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Model A - Bonneville Style

Tyler62990

Here's my take on the Revell 29 Roadster. I've never really been one for roadsters, but as soon as this kit hit the shelves, I saw it as a Bonneville Flats car. This is the channeled version, basically out of box with the exception of a few mods.

I started out by dechroming almost everything and painting it semi-gloss black or MM silver chrome for a more muted finish. The interior was painted with MM Leather, exterior with MM Dark Green, the wheels with a mix of Testors flat yellow and gloss white. This was also my first time using an airbrush (SO much more fun than rattle cans lol)

Once everything was painted, I started slapping it together. The engine was pumbed and wired, with one of the spare radiator hoses cut down to make an ignition coil. After everything fell into place, I decided to add a tonneau cover over the passenger side. This was done by laying tracing paper over the cockpit, tracing out the shape, transferring that to a piece of cardstock and cutting it out. Once cut, it was dipped in a 50/50 white glue/water mix with brown acrylic paint added. Once it tacked up, it was pressed around the body and left to dry. The snaps where made by nipping off pieces off solder and gluing them in place. I also thought the windshield looked HUGE, so that was chopped to give it a more aerodynamic look. Well, that's all. Enjoy!

That's real nice!

But your tonneau snaps are a little rough looking. A better way to go... remove them, sand the tonneau smooth and brush paint it... then put down some masking tape and measure/mark the locations for each snap. Use a pin vise to drill each hole, then use cut-down sewing pins as the snaps. Every snap will be perfectly identical and look much more realistic than the solder "stubs" you used.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate it.

That's real nice!

But your tonneau snaps are a little rough looking. A better way to go... remove them, sand the tonneau smooth and brush paint it... then put down some masking tape and measure/mark the locations for each snap. Use a pin vise to drill each hole, then use cut-down sewing pins as the snaps. Every snap will be perfectly identical and look much more realistic than the solder "stubs" you used.

Yeah, that was poor planning on my part. I ransacked my house looking for something suitable but it was a futile effort. The solder was the only thing I could think of at the time, and despite my best attempts to keep them identical, they didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. I'll leave it as is though, because I like seeing marked improvements as the shelf collects more subjects (and I'm lazy lol). Anyway, thank you for the tips. I would've never thought of that.

I think this is a super sharp build of a often

forgotten modeling subject!

My love for salt flats cars of all kinds goes

way back to when I was young.

David S.

Flats cars are some of the coolest out there, IMO. I'll definitely be building more in the future, possibly a 34 Ford, The Challenger, if I can find a belly tanker, something. The only one I know I'll be doing is a Kurtis Kraft racer. I know they're Indy cars, but that aerodynamic shape would be right at home on the flats.