Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ' 68 Galaxie complete

smellyfatdude

Just started this one a couple days ago, taking advantage of those rare moments I can paint outside when the wind isn't howling. I always knew I wanted a red ' 68 in my collection, though my paint choice was undecided, almost 'til the last minute. In the end, here it is with five coats of Tamiya TS-39 mica red, and cleared with Rustoleum lacquer. I used Krylon Dual satin ivory to do the interior, with Duplicolor black primer for the dash. I'm going to add flocking, so there'll be black carpeting. I haven't painted the seats yet, 'cause the front seats are molded to the console, and I'm likely to pinch the console and shifter from another kit. From the interior view, at least, the car will be an automatic, though I intend to leave the kit's manual transmission right there. Other plans call for Cragar SS rims, with some wider tires. Before anyone pm's me asking if I want to parts with the stock hubcaps, sorry but I still need 'em for the ' 70 Galaxie I have in my stash.

start%20005_zpslcbxm88e.jpg

start%20001_zpsgs5ivngj.jpg

start%20007m_zps8aegg5ki.jpg

The rest of my Galaxies. I intend to build at least one example of all of them, from 1959 to 1970. Getting there . . . . . . !

tested018m_zps521fbc51.jpg

finish3%20005m_zpsxymx716m.jpg

finished019m_zps728824f6.jpg

Galaxie004-1024x768_zps50452e71.jpg

finished-out%20013m_zpstoduynso.jpg

finish019cr.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

I'll be following to,i'm doing the same kit as well except mine is maroon with a black vinyl roof,unfortuneatly the paint was bad and I had no choice but to strip the whole car and right now it's in primer again,just masking the body to paint the roof,hopefully color coats by next week.

Off to a good start D.W.! One of my favorite Fords for '68! I have a built one in the stash waiting someday for a resto. I had a pristine kit years ago, but I knew I'd never do anything with it so I sold it on the 'Bay. It went for a pretty penny I gotta tell ya!

Chances are we're not likely to see this one reissued again. :(

Thanks everyone, for your interest. Just a bit more done, here's the chassis shot with Duplicolor black primer, and a coat of clear on the dash. The kit console, upon looking closer is accurately molded as an automatic, so I just have to fill the stupid hole in the center that they stuck in in for a manual shifter. I did seperate the seats and console, so now just have to paint them their respective colors. I'm putting in a little extra effort, removing every mold line from every piece before painting. I only get one shot at building this, and it has to please me first and foremost.

ive been searching for one of these kits like crazy!  where did you find yours? 

I got mine from ebay, and while I'll keep what I paid for it to myself, it was worth what I shelled out. To me, anyway. This is the hardest one to get from the ' 59 to ' 70 series, since it was never re-issued. Many a time I've had to pass on one, simply because I couldn't justify spending the $$. Fortunately, usually at least once a year I'm able to save up a little "fun money" . . . . . and this is how I have fun! :lol: And before anyone feels the need to point it out, yes I know the firewall is not supposed to be body color. I painted the firewall red on my ' 67 as well, just 'cause I think it looks nicer.

Thanks, yeah I'll probably just have to bight the bullet and save up for one.   My dad had a 68 galaxie 500 xl as his first car and I've always wanted to make a replica of it for him.   Yours is coming along really nice, I think the firewall looks better in body color too, keep up the build and thanks for the pics!  you have made some beautiful looking galaxies!

Coming along nicely,i went with a red interior and i found that the speedometer decals from the 66'el camino really add life to the dash just a heads up the rear wheelwells on the chassis show somewhat when you mate the body and chassis,i discovered to late as my chassis is painted with the suspension all glued on.

Great idea to build the Galaxie timeline from 1959-1970. I have started the same project, but need still kits of the 67 and 68.

As You can see in my photo I have a real 62 Galaxie in the garage.

I have to agree, this is a dream of mine. My wish is to do full size

Fords from '56 - '70!

But of course the '58 is going to a hard one, as well as '67 + '68.

I get a bit jealous seeing your builds. I love that '67 conv.!  And I'm

sure this one will get me too.

David S.   

Thanks again for your interest. Nothing too exciting done, but the interior is all painted, and the engine is built. All the other pieces are painted as well, so next will be polishing out the clear coat. Plus, I have to find which kit is gonna cough up the Cragar SS wheels. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Long time since I posted any progress, but I am still working on this one. Not just as much as I'd like to be. It took a good long while to get the clear coat polished, and I'm pretty sure after this I'm going to go back to using Tamiya TS-13 on bodies, and save the Rustoleum just for doing the smaller pieces. Still have to paint all the emblems, and foil the hood, but the rest of the bright work is all done.

I have a sweet spot in my heart for full sized cars. I really like that '68 Ford XLGT.  May I make a suggestion? If I were building this one, I would paint the package tray flat black. In the real world, a white package tray would reflect light something terrible. When I was growing up, my dad had a few cars with white interior, and the package trays were always black. Just a suggestion.

Your Galaxie looks great!,i'm still working on mine it's been repainted but had a little bleed through in a couple areas and paint lifted off in  the area behind the rear window when I removed the masking:angry:.Looking forward to seeing your's finished.

Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the package shelf, I intend to leave it white. While searching for reference pictures of ' 68 interiors, I came across this photo of a ' 66, with a white package shelf. Original or not, I just thought it looked nice. The body is a non-stock color anyway, so just picture it as a car, "restored to taste", rather than factory color schemes.

004_zpsf8lhkaul.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the package shelf, I intend to leave it white. While searching for reference pictures of ' 68 interiors, I came across this photo of a ' 66, with a white package shelf. Original or not, I just thought it looked nice. The body is a non-stock color anyway, so just picture it as a car, "restored to taste", rather than factory color schemes.

004_zpsf8lhkaul.jpg

I understand, and I am quite sure it is going to look great. Those other Galaxies you did look fantastic. Wait until you see the '68 I am planning.