Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dekon Monza

935k3

My first car as teenager was ALMOST a '76 Monza with a fiberglass Trans-Am kit bolted on. My parents wouldn't let me get it. These are very cool looking cars. Can't wait to see these kits built.

I saw the prototype at NNL West and talked to Mark about it. The kit will be full detail and come with either Keyser or Holbert decals. The body is highly modified from the old AMT "IMSA" kit, with the flares corrected and a choice of a spoiler fro 1976 or a wing from 1977. I think Kurt Raitz did the mastering. 

I should read the link before I post stuff.  the link clearly states that it is curbside and that it is for 1976. I vaguely remember Mark mentioning something about trouble with the suspension, so I guess that's why it is curbside.  I does have the interior and roll cage. Perhaps they will offer the winged car later.  

I hope they didn't use the AMT Monza SS as a starting point as it is inaccurate around the side windows and especially the B pillar area.There may be other issues as well but they are in storage and I can't get at them until the weekend.  Wasn't this kit issued in the period when AMT was doing funky things with their bodies? I am restoring my 1977 Monza Spyder (without Spyder decals which I removed the first day I bought it in 1977). I bought a pile of those AMT MonzaSS kits and actually built one and was happy with it for years, until I looked at it closer. Let us hope they used the MPC Monza kits (or promos) which appear more accurate. I am excited about the Dekon kit but will wait to see which kit was used as the base.

I hope they didn't use the AMT Monza SS as a starting point as it is inaccurate around the side windows and especially the B pillar area.There may be other issues as well but they are in storage and I can't get at them until the weekend.  Wasn't this kit issued in the period when AMT was doing funky things with their bodies? I am restoring my 1977 Monza Spyder (without Spyder decals which I removed the first day I bought it in 1977). I bought a pile of those AMT MonzaSS kits and actually built one and was happy with it for years, until I looked at it closer. Let us hope they used the MPC Monza kits (or promos) which appear more accurate. I am excited about the Dekon kit but will wait to see which kit was used as the base.

The AMT 75/76/77 Nova kits (pro stock/factory stock/street machine) are a mess, too, especially the roofline and quarter window shape.  That body would have been tooled up right about the same time as the Monza, so that makes sense.  Never knew that about the AMT Monzas, now I know to not bother getting one if I stumble across them.  I still have an MPC Monza promo that I got as a kid.  I agree, the body has always seemed spot-on with those.

Edited by Robberbaron

The Revell Monza is even worse than the AMT. I am going from memory but I think the body is pretty much a caricature of a Monza. It uses a generic non prototypical chassis plate and the body has the wide body kit molded on. The body has proportion issues. i have a Japanese 1/24 scale Monza (motorized) that has a nicely proportioned body but it may be bigger than 1/24. I will try to dig them all out this weekend and post some pictures of the contents.  

I saw the prototype at NNL West and talked to Mark about it. The kit will be full detail and come with either Keyser or Holbert decals. The body is highly modified from the old AMT "IMSA" kit, with the flares corrected and a choice of a spoiler fro 1976 or a wing from 1977. I think Kurt Raitz did the mastering. 

Do you have any photos of the prototype?

Thanks for the kudos Vince, but I had never heard of the Dekon Monza until this morning.

I watched a lot of Monzas race in the Trans Am Series, but don't recall the Dekon, but that was a long-long time ago!

Someone else did the master for them.

Looks like a nice kit.

Sorry, I don't have pics of the prototype.  Mark did say it was based on the AMT kit. Obviously, I have forgotten who did the conversion, but it was a well known Bay Area builder. Mark only had the unprimed body and said he was waiting for the interior and chassis.  That's when he said something about having trouble with the suspension.  He didn't elaborate, but I assume it was trouble with casting it.  I thought the master looked really good.

• 2 weeks later...

The pending release of M&S Hobbies Dekon Monza resin kit was the kick in the rear I needed to finally attempt to build this car.  However I don't want to use the resin kit but instead do a full detail build based on the MPC kit.  I have already started work on the body but I am unsure what to use for a chassis.  Right now I am considering using the Revell Mustang GTO as a basis.  Wondering if anyone else has an opinion or a better option to suggest?

176476-12155.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...