Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm starting this kit:

ford_van.thumb.jpg.3293373f3b6c1920902f4

This is what I have in mind. 

evidencetech1972a.thumb.jpg.6924af5dca7a

The above is obviously a 1971 Dodge Tradesman, but bear in mind by the mid '70's we had mostly Chevrolet products. Curiously the Dodge has fancy hub caps and a whitewall tire.

The Ford vans were assigned to the Laboratory Division as "Command Post" type vehicles which responded to major case scenes.

I'm looking to replicate the ladder racks (see above), flood lights and markings as they appeared back then. 

G

Thank you gentlemen!

Some small progress today.

I got this assembled and base painted. 

With the body in primer it was a good time to build the ladder rack.

The work lights I have in mind will mount to the side rails of the ladder rack. That's what I remember from all those years ago. I'll scratchbuild the ladders as well.

Stay tuned.

G

Thank you all. 

I was able to sit and work on this quite a bit on my days off.

I didn't like the kit shocks so I made some.

Same with the driveshaft.

and the steering column.

Steering wheel was modified to fit the new column.

Seats were modified to better represent what came from the the factory on a standard van. 

A lot has been painted and will be left to dry as I start my work week. 

G

Alrighty then, lots of work to report.

I foiled the emblems prior to the color coat.

Interior is painted and test fitted on the chassis.

Not exactly Ford, but a good representation of poverty caps from my parts box.

A scratchbuilt step ladder.

Ladder rack is painted.

The body and hood are painted white and curing as we speak.  I scratchbuilt the cabinet for the interior of the van. These were usually left parked with a minimum of gear on board. When requested to respond they were loaded with scene specific tools and equipment. 

G

Work keeps me busy, but I have been working on this.

Here's a mock up of the interior. Nothing is glued down yet but the radio/siren combo.

Here's the scratch built cabinet for the cargo area. I wanted to represent what I remembered about these vans. The everyday Evidence Technician Unit had a lot more gear inside.

Paint polished off the scripts.

G

Thank you gentlemen!

Carl the radio and siren box are resin copies of the parts found in the '70 Ford police car kit. They are exactly what I used back in the day. The microphone and switch box are scratchbuilt though.I carved the mic from some sprue and used 90 degree styrene angle and bits of wire for the switches.

G

Thank you gentlemen.

Despite work I have made additional progress on this. 

I used some clear plastic, previously used to package a long forgotten item, to replace all the kit windows.  As I was polishing distortion from the windshield, it developed hairline cracks which I felt were unacceptable. :angry:

Today I plan to complete the interior assembly and perhaps get the body on the frame.

Photos to come!

G

Thank you gentlemen!

Carl the radio and siren box are resin copies of the parts found in the '70 Ford police car kit. They are exactly what I used back in the day. The microphone and switch box are scratchbuilt though.I carved the mic from some sprue and used 90 degree styrene angle and bits of wire for the switches.

G

G i saved a picture of your radio and switches. I have a coupe 70's models to make police cars out of. Can't beat info from a policeman on police vehicles.:) 

No source like an old source!

Progress.

I had the door shield decal custom made something like 9 years ago now. I cannot, for the life of me, remember who did it. The remaining numbers and letters I printed with my inkjet printer on decal paper. I'm searching for a good shot of a vintage license plate to print as we speak. 

G