Model Cars Magazine Forum

URL]"G",

Very nice replica!  I have a few of these kits that I am trying to "massage" into the longer wheelbase Ford vans of the early 80's that I served on as an EMT and paramedic.  As an EMT, on some early Braun ambulances, as a medic in both regular long wheelbase and rear body extension models.  The rear body extensions should be quite a challenge...

received_10206045758884116.jpeg

received_10206045758844115.jpeg

David

Edited by hooknladderno1
photo

Here are some glamor shots of the almost completed van.

DSCF5856_zpsxtu2vo9e.jpg

DSCF5857_zpsa4gzxrk6.jpg

DSCF5858_zpsnqzagkck.jpg

DSCF5860_zps78zn56x3.jpg

DSCF5859_zpsabqkm7va.jpg

DSCF5861_zps0tawjmj1.jpg

The partially completed light bar. It's a refugee from my parts box. I think it came from an old Yodel kit. The chrome was bad. I stripped it and sprayed Tamiya Silver leaf over all. I used BMF on the rotator bases.

DSCF5862_zpsjcfrnewj.jpg

Weather here has been abysmal what with torrential rain and humidity. It took three tries to get a smooth gloss black undercoat on the siren speaker. Alclad topcoat will be next week. I plan to scratch build mirrors as the kit pieces are ridiculous. I may forego Alclad until the mirrors are built and basecoated gloss black. 

G

Edited by Agent G

You're having torrential rain in Las Vegas?  Can you send some to Syracuse?

You can have all you want kind sir.

21 swift water rescues Thursday alone, two known dead and scores of auto accidents. Folks who have lived here for a long time want to see rain! Hell, they worship the rain.

All us transplanted Midwesterners could care less. :D

I see clouds and the tell tale green tint to the sky and immediately think of flying monkeys, spinning houses and an ex wife riding a bicycle.........

exwife.thumb.jpg.e88e59c1ca8b20a57e44889

G

Right on!

I took the time to peruse photos and discovered that the kit mirrors were representations of what the real vans came with back then. Not good representations, mind you, but they do resemble the actual mirrors. 

I decided no amount of stripping, carving or filing would do this any good so I made some.

I used some .040 sheet, .020 rod, 3/64 rod and 1.2mm angle to replicate the mirrors. 

I then sprayed them Tamiya silver leaf and added BMF faces.

Not totally accurate, but a far sight better than what came in the kit.

G