Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '70 Superbird

Xingu

Here is my next build in a long line of cheap and easily had kits that everyone has built or seen a dozen times. This will be box stock as it is basically a practice build to hone my building skills.

While waiting for paint to come in on my other builds, I decided I would start up what should be a fairly quick and simple build. I have a few kits that I bought that were open and/or started, this is one of those kits. It is the Monogram 1970 Plymouth Superbird molded in blue and box is dated 1991. Ironically, after I started it, I changed my mind on the color and am now waiting for paint to finish this one as well.

Went with white/black interior so that some of the details will show. Need to touch up a few things, but overall I am happy how it turned out.

Decided to mask and spray the vinyl top today. Used Testors flat black rattlecan from about 18" away. I think it came out well.

It's looking real good!  That top came out perfect.

If you are interested in adding one more detail, the

metal strips on the A pillars are aluminum air foils

that were added to give the car more aerodynamics.

Kinda funny really, because the cars often had the

vinyl tops on them!

David S.

It's looking real good!  That top came out perfect.

If you are interested in adding one more detail, the

metal strips on the A pillars are aluminum air foils

that were added to give the car more aerodynamics.

Kinda funny really, because the cars often had the

vinyl tops on them!

David S.

Yeah, in most of the reference photos I have seen (which don't show the foils very well) it looked like the vinyl ran down behind them. Was planning on foiling them. They always did seem like an odd engineering add-on.

Yes all 1970 Plymouth Superbird's and 1969 Dodge Daytona's had vinyl tops from the factory except the ones used for NASCAR racing, the rear window work were fixed up on them and the roofs were painted.
So was the SS/E Superbird that Sox & Martin ran in the Super Stock class for a short while, it had a metallic blue top.

Great start.  I have this same kit on the go (just finishing up the clean up so no paint yet but it will also be in oranges.  

I don't know about the rest of the original factory colours, but take note of the fact that there were different oranges on the body; engine block (although this kit is a 440 and not a 426v Hemi); the spoiler; and the front nose pieces.

Take a look at this link - it'll blow your mind (along with most wallets) :lol: http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1512-amazing-1970-plymouth-superbird-sets-new-benchmark-for-authentic-original-restoration/

Edited by showrods

Since we have peoples interest in this build, does

any decal makers have a good set of correct decals

for this car?

My set from Monogram does not have all the decals

needed to do it right.

Mike are you using anything other than what comes

with this kit for your build?

David S.

for this car?

needed to do it right.

David S.

I bought a set from Keith Marks along with the ones for the Daytona Charger.  These decals have all of the stuff that's missing (cartoon roadrunner etc) compared to the ones included with the kit .  

They look good but I can't vouch for how they go on as I haven't reached that stage of the build.

Edited by showrods

Yes all 1970 Plymouth Superbird's and 1969 Dodge Daytona's had vinyl tops from the factory except the ones used for NASCAR racing, the rear window work were fixed up on them and the roofs were painted.
So was the SS/E Superbird that Sox & Martin ran in the Super Stock class for a short while, it had a metallic blue top.

Just a note. No 69 Daytonas had vinyl tops. Both the 69 Daytona and Charger 500 required more metalwork and a shorter trunk lid plus since they only needed to make 500 of them they could take more time to do it. For the 70 Superbird they needed to make 1500 of them and only the rear window was modified. So it was easier to hide the work under the vinyl top.

for this car?

needed to do it right.

David S.

I am just going to use the decals in the kit.

Just a note. No 69 Daytonas had vinyl tops. Both the 69 Daytona and Charger 500 required more metalwork and a shorter trunk lid plus since they only needed to make 500 of them they could take more time to do it. For the 70 Superbird they needed to make 1500 of them and only the rear window was modified. So it was easier to hide the work under the vinyl top.

To add to.......

The Daytona body work had been perfected building the Charger 500......so it was more 'finished'. The Superbird was kinda thrown together so Petty would return to Plymouth....otherwise he'd stayed with Ford and history may be very different. Roof was somewhat 'rough' and the front fenders were old Dodge units. 

correct...sort of.

But there is at least 1 Daytona with a vinyl top (white top on a green hemi car)

And two 500s with vinyl tops. 

One red hemi car and a Q5 turquoise 440 car. (both black tops)

correct...sort of.

But there is at least 1 Daytona with a vinyl top (white top on a green hemi car)

And two 500s with vinyl tops. 

One red hemi car and a Q5 turquoise 440 car. (both black tops)

I now of two Daytonas with vinyl tops. The green one with the wild stripes and Hemi. Plus a Plum Crazy 440 6 pack sunroof car. Both are 1970 Daytonas and both should not exist. Plus neither one has the flush mounted rear window. As for the 69 Charger 500 none were built with a vinyl top but 11 are documented to have dealer installed tops.

Edited by Sport Suburban

I now of two Daytonas with vinyl tops. The green one with the wild stripes and Hemi. Plus a Plum Crazy 440 6 pack sunroof car. Both are 1970 Daytonas and both should not exist. Plus neither one has the flush mounted rear window. As for the 69 Charger 500 none were built with a vinyl top but 11 are documented to have dealer installed tops.

I'm a bit confused here - I thought that the Daytona was a one year only car (1969).  If that's the case how are there 1970 models?

I have read as you posted earlier that 1969 500s and Daytonas did NOT have a vinyl top as an option.

Perhaps 1969s with vinyl tops are the result of post delivery modifications?

Record keeping for the 1969 Daytonas is not apparently very good.  There appears to be no consensus as to how many were even made and in what configurations.

I used the same technique to paint the vinyl roof on the 68'galaxie i'm doing,except i used Tamiya Matt Black,i noticed that you didn't mask off the chrome trim for the roof,how are you going to get Bmf to stick to a bumpy surface?.

I'm a bit confused here - I thought that the Daytona was a one year only car (1969).  If that's the case how are there 1970 models?

I have read as you posted earlier that 1969 500s and Daytonas did NOT have a vinyl top as an option.

Perhaps 1969s with vinyl tops are the result of post delivery modifications?

Record keeping for the 1969 Daytonas is not apparently very good.  There appears to be no consensus as to how many were even made and in what configurations.

You are correct that Mopar did not keep the best records but they were better at it than GM. It is a lot harder to fake one of these. No official 70 Daytonas were offered but a few were made.

This is a 70 Daytona and it's is unknown were it is now but a clone of it does exist. See here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3131175/1970-dodge-Daytona/

This is the 70 Daytona 440+6 sunroof car. It is documented and disputed.

Another red 70 Daytona is out there but is believed to home built but no one knows for sure. It has a superbird nose on it.

The 70 Daytona was planned but is rumored to have been cancelled as the 69 already existed and they could race it. If they offered it they would have had to make 1 for every dealership in business at the time. That is also why 1500 or so Superbirds had to be made instead of just 500 like in 69. All efforts went to the Superbird to keep Petty with Plymouth!