Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Pledge with Future Question

I know that this horse has been beaten to death, but I have a question for anyone who may know.

I've been wanting to try Future for a few applications & I've not been able to find it in my area.

After looking on Amazon tonight, I'm confused.

There are 4 products listed.

3 of them seem to be the same item in different packages.

They are listed as "Pledge Floor Care".

Some say "With Future Shine", some do not.

Regardless, they run around $10.00- $11.00 for a 27 oz. bottle.

Then there is a product called "Pledge Floor Finish" "With Future Shine".

This one runs nearly $50.00 for the same size bottle?!!

What's the deal there?

& which one do I want?

I will be passing if I have to pay $50.00 for a 27 oz. bottle!

The only thing I can figure is that the expensive one might be sold in multiples, yet I can find nothing in the product description that states that.

Some of the others are clearly marked as 2 packs, 3 packs, 6 packs, etc.

The only other one that appears to be sold individually on Amazon is the first one. The last photo is the product that doesn't state quantity.

Help me!

I'm thoroughly confused!

Steve

SC Johnson Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish 27 OZPledge Floor Care, Multi-Surface Finish, 27-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)Pledge Multi-Surface 27Oz Floor Finish 3-PackPledge Floor Finish Gloss 27 Oz

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Yeah, for whatever reason, it's getting harder to find individual bottles for sale online, forget about finding any in an actual STORE.....

It doesn't hurt to get 4 or so bottles at a time though, especially to squirrel away 2 or 3 to make sure you have some in case it's phased out altogether.

Steven, what ever you used on your models for clear DO NOT CHANGE..From what I saw in NNL North your stuff is way top shelf..Very nice the way you do it now..Maybe for tinting glass with a little color but not on the finish...

Thanks Wayne.

I've heard that some guys use this & I just want to try it out.

If I don't like the results, I'll go back to my usual way.

Just thought it might be worth a little experimentation. :)

Steve

I love Future floor wax. Just built the Polar Lights "SnapIt" Stone, Woods & Cook '40 Willys Gasser. Other than painting the grille, headlamps, and taillights, I left it in the colored plastic it was molded in. After assembly and applying the decals, I then took a cotton ball wetted down with Future and wiped the car down. It looks great! So easy and so shiny! I love the stuff.

And Wayne, you were at the NNL North? Do you know, did we meet? If not, I hope we do in the future. And I'm not talking about the floor wax in that case.

I love Future floor wax. Just built the Polar Lights "SnapIt" Stone, Woods & Cook '40 Willys Gasser. Other than painting the grille, headlamps, and taillights, I left it in the colored plastic it was molded in. After assembly and applying the decals, I then took a cotton ball wetted down with Future and wiped the car down. It looks great! So easy and so shiny! I love the stuff.

And Wayne, you were at the NNL North? Do you know, did we meet? If not, I hope we do in the future. And I'm not talking about the floor wax in that case.

PS ... Part of the confusion about Future over the years has come from referring to it as "wax." It isn't a wax, it's an acrylic coating, and shouldn't be confused with waxes.

Some of the prices you are seeing is for multiple bottles. Otherwise, they are all the same product. For some inexplicable reason, the makers have changed the name and label several times.

That's merchindising for you. Companies need to constantly change names and update the packages. It is happening with most of the products around us. I also think it sucks!  But the ad agencies hired by the producers need to earn their big bucks somehow, so they redesign packaging or change product names. Very silly (to me).

Actually in this specific instance company mergers or brand reshuffling dictated some of the changes.

Of course whenever someone mentions this magical liquid, I can't resist pointing them to  . . . http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I've used Future as a barrier for plastic in the past, and while it works well for that, airbrushing it can be tricky as it's quite runny! You have to work fast, and it's good to keep a paint brush or something nearby as it likes to run and pool in corners and such.

I've used Future as a barrier for plastic in the past, and while it works well for that, airbrushing it can be tricky as it's quite runny! You have to work fast, and it's good to keep a paint brush or something nearby as it likes to run and pool in corners and such.

Amen!!! I use the corner of a paper towel and "wick" it off of the edge of a fender well or corner if it builds up too much.:D

Sears Hardware Store, and most of the big box hardware chains will also stock it. I picked mine up at Sears Hardware and it wasn't that expensive, as I recall. I also agree with the airbrush application issue. I've never used cotton balls to apply it, but I have used 1" or larger sponge brushes, and even large, natural bristle craft brushes. I also use the paper towel for wicking away excess. It also makes a good sealer for "glass" and chrome parts to cut down on fingerprints.

I haven't used it in years but I always applied with a soft wide brush.  It is self leveling so you brush it on, sit the body on a paper towel, and do not touch it until its totally dry.  It comes out OK.  I never tried to polish it back then, but I liked to cover the molded in color models with future.  It looked almost as good as paint back then when put on color molded plastic.

If you put it on a white car it will definitely yellow over time, and not a lot of time either (a couple years).

It definitely is a quick and dirty way to get a clear coat.     

Edited by Jeff Johnston

If you put it on a white car it will definitely yellow over time, and not a lot of time either (a couple years).

Oddly enough I used it on a white car. With that build siting next to another car I painted with the same paint, it's definitely yellowed a touch

Oddly enough I used it on a white car. With that build siting next to another car I painted with the same paint, it's definitely yellowed a touch

Ok, now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good idea to use it for window tinting.

I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I'm using a green tint, but if it yellows over time, I really don't know if I want to take any chances.

Steve

Maybe I used it wrong,

But I used it on a build last year and was NOT impressed.

It sits on the shelf of doom and will most likely go in the trash someday. or maybe I'll use it on the floors .

All clear coated with Future...

67_zpsb8be5126.jpg

modela2_zps2be3f806.jpg

finished3_zps6d89f830.jpg

packard11_zps2mayiyyn.jpg

Different strokes for different folks, I guess....