Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long do ya'll take

Just wondering has anyone ever kept up with how long you spend on doing a model from start to finish. I would like to know I don't look at it as a race to get done just kinda thinking how much time we spend on a model. Guess it depends on how much detail we put in them.

Chris,model-a

The actual time spent working on the model, and when it gets finished are very different. Life inters in to it. Time spent with family and chores around the house, not to mention the time spent on this site. I may work on a model for an hour before I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry. Start doing other things and before you know it a month has past. I know many here are building machines and crank out great builds all the time, just don't know how they do that.       

Build time is probably only a couple of days at most, but actual start date to finish date varies. My current build probably has about 3 days total build time but I started it over a year ago and still have quite a lot to do before I can call it done. Granted it is my first build in a very long time and the skills are very rusty, had to redo paint about five times before I was happy with it. I don't know how some of the guys on this forum can build so many exceptional models as quickly as they do. I really envy their building skills. Perhaps with time I will be able to do more than one model every two years and get up to at least two models in a year. LOL.

It would be interesting though to set up some sort of timer. I could set it next to the lamp and start/stop it as I go. Or maybe just a start/stop log sheet. I'll have to think about that.

I have done a couple of long weekend/ holiday builds where I set out to build the model entirely over the weekend. Generally with few mods, added detailing or scratch-built anything. I did about 10 hours of work a day for three days. Comparing the work done to them compared to my usual builds, I figure I have anywhere from 60-100 hours into my  best builds.

I've never actually sat down and counted up hours............I have a job I go to everyday to do that! :P

Just the same, I take my time with whatever needs to be done----be it a few months or in the case of my '59 Impala, nearly four years! Counting hours like I mentioned would amount to doing a job, and that's the last thing I want to think about when I'm done for the day. 

Come to think of it, I do remember years ago trying to keep a log of how much time I spent on a particular car (I don't remember the model anymore), but I soon lost track and became disinterested due to it being like well---------------work.

Edited by MrObsessive

It would be interesting though to set up some sort of timer. I could set it next to the lamp and start/stop it as I go. Or maybe just a start/stop log sheet. I'll have to think about that.

I've done a log for the last couple of builds, just to answer my own curiosity. It's in excess of 40-hours spread out over weeks. A graphic arts instructor once advised how to estimate the price of a design job, "Estimate how long you think it will take, then double it." That's about accurate to my modeling time if I'm building for any kind of deadline.

I don't mean to be critical of the people who actually keep track of their time spent... if that's what you want to do, fine. But why?

Say you keep track of time and it turns out you spent X number of hours building a particular kit. Ok, fine.

But so what? I mean, what does knowing the time spent do for you? I really don't see the point.

....funny you ask that.....at one time I built drag cars at a fairly quick pace, that is to say,,,,each project taking between 3-6 weeks of working on the car very constantly. that was in the 80s up to around the early 2000-2002 era. had a lot of cars at that time,,,however in getting back into the hobby just 3 years ago, I find projects take me a long time, yet really should not. cars that could be built to a very nice quality and one was proud of in probably 3 or 4 weeks seem now to linger into 4, 5, 6 months or more. the drive to crank 'em out just isn't  there like before. maybe its age, don't really know. I have nothing but time, and built a lot more when my life was a whole lot busier and more rounded than it is these days.....was going to glue a couple of parts together just now, but  NNNAAAA..........i'll just have some more coffee and buy more kits tonite.....lol....:lol:.......the Ace......

I run stopwatch time on my 1:1 work, as I've found it's the ONLY way to be fair the the client AND to myself.

Right, because in that case you are charging for your time.

In the case of taking part in a hobby... there is no point in keeping track of time. What are you gonna do, bill yourself for your time? :D

I scratch build most of my models on account of the fact that NO One does what I do . Kits on the other hand , shoot , anywhere from two , three days to two , three weeks . For example , I did the old Revell MULTI- piece 1958 Austin Healey 3000 . I guess I spent three weeks  as it needed "Tweaking "

AHfinished1.jpg

I track on my inventory spreadsheet when I start and when I finish a model.  That gives me a rough idea but days or weeks can go by without any progress on any particular kit, I usually have 3 on the bench at any given time.  By this measure I usually finish one in 60 days or so.

Not really much point in tracking time unless your billing for it, but what the heck, sometimes you just need to know B).

I scratch build most of my models on account of the fact that NO One does what I do .

That's a bit presumptuous of you, isn't it?

Nobody does what you do? I find that impossible to believe. We have seven BILLION people on this rock. I don't think you're that unique! ;)