Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT (Round2 Release) '40 Ford Coupe

MrBuick

I'm looking at getting the '40 Ford coupe...the re-release AMT Original Art series from Round 2. I have an AMT kit of this model from probably the 90's (beige car on box), but I'm wanting to build a drag version. This one has some parts, but I'm wondering what the recent release has. Can anybody post images of the content of this kit?

I don't have and have never had amt's 40 ford kit.only monogram and revell and the monogram is the pickup.I have friend that spent along while fixing hood and front fender problems. ..he wasn't very happy with the amount of effort to fix kit problems. so the revell is the newest kit as opposed to the amt.the art work on the amt sure is beautiful though. thats all I know about it.good luck......Chris 

I could have sworn there was a thread somewhere on this board showing a parts breakout of the "new" 40 Ford Coupe.  Sorry, could not find it.  Somebody else probably will if it exists. I did find a thread on the 1983 reissue.

Also found a thread saying there are no Baby Moon hubcaps in this re-issue. The wheel options are stock, Keystone 5-spoke mags or Toronado wheel covers.  Kit has the same 2 engine options going back to its 1960 release - stock flathead or blown Buick nailhead.

If you get the new flat "Art Box" release, pay attention to the stickers on the boxtop. There are 2 different color versions - one is molded in WHITE and the other in ORANGE.

I really like this kit, yes the Revell versions (standard coupe and deluxe convertible) are more accurate. But the AMT's are more fun in my opinion.

I do wish that someone would do a 1940 Ford Woodie, that would be cool.

Edited by carnut

I've been building "at" one of these for years and years. The hood fit isn't great, and I ended up gluing mine on solid and doing some rescribing to get the look I wanted. And then I started looking at pics of real '40s and the hood doesn't seem to fit too well on them, either.

Other quirk on this body is that the rear door lines aren't in the same place on both sides. On one side, the door line comes right up the center of the window frames. On the other side, the line is much closer to the back rear glass than the front. I thought that was wrong, but did some research and found out that that side is correct--the other side, which LOOKS right, is wrong! When I discovered this, I filled the wrong door line with CA and laboriously sanded and smoothed that all out and rescribed it.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else comment on this aspect of the AMT body before.

I'm looking at getting the '40 Ford coupe...the re-release AMT Original Art series from Round 2. I have an AMT kit of this model from probably the 90's (beige car on box), but I'm wanting to build a drag version. This one has some parts, but I'm wondering what the recent release has. Can anybody post images of the content of this kit?

.....if you go to our drag cars forum,   type in,,,, that dang Trouble Maker......you can view the exact issue from 2014 you want to build, and post my photos here if you can.....I am not very computer savvy, and don't know how to do it.....I don't have a camera presently either, but this may help you, as mine is basically box built with the exception of a few decals...hope this can help,,,,best...the Ace...:D

Thanks guys...after some digging, it doesn't really look like the re-release has many parts the one I have doesn't contain, other than some wheels and tires. I may end up picking one up anyway though, because I messed up the kit I have trying to radius the rear fenders...one came out very nice, but the other.....well, let's just say it didn't. I'll see if I can fix it with some putty, but I may end up just getting another kit.

Unboxing. The slick tires are very nicely done and two of the standard tires have a very tiny white print on one side. 

20160614_174320_zpsstaevpmy.jpg

20160614_173929_zpshfxj7tpv.jpg

20160614_174201_zpsmjlmluif.jpg

20160614_174113_zpsbfmcjfrs.jpg

20160614_173938_zps1gxuywh4.jpg

20160614_173903_zpszcdbecs9.jpg

....even though I built one, and have 2 more, its nice you pictured this for all who asked......its truly a great issue of this old gal....thanks, Rob.........the Ace...:D

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like this kit is worth picking up for the decal sheet alone.

.......you know, it really is, Colby. I can tell you from using some of the small sponsor decals on my build, they are great quality decals too. as good or better than most aftermarket ones. all round its a nice issue compared to many prior issues for the tires, decals, and perfect chrome alone.............the Ace....:)

I may have to get one...I have built a few previous issues of this kit-- the molded in black 'Crusin USA' version and the tan box art mid 80s one, and also an original issue I got in a collection.    Always  liked the various AMT 40 Ford kits..

All of these current retro-drag AMT kits have the most killer decal sheets! That sheet makes this kit worth buying. 

And, why is the trailer tongue there too??

I though that trailer was self contained.

It was offered once by itself through Blueprinter

That's not a trailer tongue. It's a tow bar that would get bolted to the front of the car and then hooked to a hitch on a vehicle for flat-towing to and from the race track for those who didn't have the extra bucks for a trailer. 

B)

That whole sprue is from the Sedan Delivery, not the coupe. Odd, but nice to have the parts.

On another note. If the Coupe and the SD came out this nice, I cannot wait to see what they do for the 39/40 Tudor Sedan, when they get around to it. I need more of those.

I hate that I had to stop buying kits, got way more than anyone could ever build:D  but I sure would like to have that decal sheet!!

Robert

Also, the Hemi from the '32 Roadster, the 427 Ford from the '32 Vicki, the Pontiac from the '36 Coupe, and the 390 T-bird motor from the AMT/Lindberg/Round2 '34 Pickup will fit in the '39/40 Fords. Some nice parts swapping possibilities there. I'm putting the 390 in a '32 Roadster right now.