Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Snaptite Ford Expedition

Aaronw

A question came up about the Revell Ford Expedition kit, and I found that there had not been any posts detailing the kit. As one of the few relatively modern SUV kits, since I have (I believe) at least one of each issue in the stash I thought I would start one.

From Wikipedia: The Ford Expedition was introduced in late 1996 as a 1997 model. It is a fullsize SUV based on the new for 1997 Ford F150. It falls in size between the midsize Ford Explorer (1991-2010) and the even larger F250 based Ford Excursion (1999-2004).  The kit represents a 1997 model year vehicle although changes between 1997 and 2002 are fairly minor.

The first issue was in 1998, the kit builds into a stock 1997 Ford Expedition. It includes a set of stock alloy (chrome) wheels with Goodyear Wrangler tires. It is packaged in a hinged box as part of the Rolling Wheels line. There is a section of road printed on the bottom of the box for display purposes. Instead of decals it features stickers including a mild custom paint job. Molded in black with a tan interior, clear windows and light covers. 

1998%20box_zpsufgyy7nh.jpg

1998%20Box%20side_zps2ubpf4ml.jpg

1998%20body_zpsxswx65y5.jpg

1998%20parts_zpsdrwbb2ro.jpg

1998%20chrome_zpsgzdtanrt.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

The first re-issue appears to have occurred in 2004. This time it was listed as a Custom Ford Expedition with no year listed. It still represents a 1997 model year vehicle, but comes with tinted windows and light covers, a new set of custom spoke rims and low profile Michelin tires. Molded in black with a dark grey interior. While only a mild custom it does not offer parts from the first issue to build a fully stock vehicle. This time it included stickers to provide a purple flame paint job. It was packaged in a more traditional top and bottom box this time under the Wheels of Fire line.

2004%20box_zpsjqzibj0t.jpg

2004%20box%20side_zpslhgmiqx1.jpg

2004%20body_zpsm4lybjk9.jpg

2004%20parts_zpsmdvemeqp.jpg

2004%20chrome_zps6lstvfyl.jpg

2004%20tires_zpsbcpjm1wf.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

The most recent re-issue (2013) was again slightly modified this time building a police version of the Expedition. Although the grill was retooled to include warning lights, they did not take the opportunity to modify the grill into later 1999-2002 style, so it still builds a 1997 model vehicle. It features clear front windshield and light covers, with tinted windows for the back and sides. Two new sprues were included to provide police equipment including a nice but generic strobe style lightbar, antennas, and protective cages to separate the back seat from the cargo area and front seats. A computer, radar gun and push bar are also provided. New wheels and generic tires without sidewall detail are included. Leaving out the police equipment this would build into a mostly stock Ford Expedition, the grill lights are of a style that could be passed off as aftermarket fog lights. It includes stickers to build a vehicle from two different generic police departments and is packaged in an end opening box under the new Snaptite Max label.

2013%20box_zpsmen15d8e.jpg

2013%20body_zpspttdddxj.jpg

2013%20parts_zpsowfozepc.jpg

2013%20chrome%20and%20special_zpsx9lyfbq

2013%20chrome_zpsd9bclgek.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

The most recent re-issue (2013) was again slightly modified this time building a police version of the Expedition........ Leaving out the police equipment this would build into a mostly stock Ford Expedition, the grill lights are of a style that could be passed off as aftermarket fog lights.

I do agree did one like that with hood scoop and fender exhaust ports.

IMG_1085.jpg

I believe the First issue was Molded in  a dark green metallic!!
I have 2 of that version

Very Close to Maryland's DNR (Park Ranger+forest/Wildland fire) color at the time

REVELL "ROLLING WHEELS" (1997) '97 FORD EXPEDITION SNAPTITE MODEL KIT (OPENED)

HERE!! Image copied from that evil Auction site

This is the ORIGINAL issue, and the one I have 2 of

I also found 2 more Custom issues

a Yellow one and a lime green one

Revell Wheels of Fire Custom Ford Expedition 1:25 Scale, Model Kit

Revell SnapTite Cutstom Ford Expedition 1:25 Scale Model Car Kit New Sealed Box

The Yellow one has the same Purple flame stickers as the black custom shown above

Edited by Edsel-Dan
Additional info

Nice review, Aaron.  I've been passing on snap kits, but there look really nice.  Might be something to keep an eye out for in the future.

Some like the Build and Play kits are really basic, but most of the snap kits are actually pretty nice curbsides and when it comes to trucks / suvs often our only choice. The AMT 1996 Tahoe is very similar to the Expedition in quality. The recent Jeep Rubicon and Raptor are even nicer. If somebody really wanted a full detail Expedition I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to bash one of these kits with one of the F150 kits. 

I believe the First issue was Molded in  a dark green metallic!!
I have 2 of that version

Very Close to Maryland's DNR (Park Ranger+forest/Wildland fire) color at the time

REVELL "ROLLING WHEELS" (1997) '97 FORD EXPEDITION SNAPTITE MODEL KIT (OPENED)

HERE!! Image copied from that evil Auction site

This is the ORIGINAL issue, and the one I have 2 of

I also found 2 more Custom issues

a Yellow one and a lime green one

Revell Wheels of Fire Custom Ford Expedition 1:25 Scale, Model Kit

Revell SnapTite Cutstom Ford Expedition 1:25 Scale Model Car Kit New Sealed Box

The Yellow one has the same Purple flame stickers as the black custom shown above

So there are a few more issues out there, but it would seem they are probably the same inside the box as the batch in my post. Interesting that the first one was green, I wonder what color the two customs were molded in as all of mine are black.

The wheels on the most recent police kit are incorrect for that generation of the Expedition. They belong to 2010+ Expeditions/F-150s.

I had a look online and it seems you are correct. Most of the first gen police package Expeditions I found were running steel wheels similar in design to the alloy rims used in the first kit, with a few running a 5 spoke style steel rim not seen in any of the kits.

Edited by Aaronw

Trying to find pic's of the body in th eother kits

Here is a "Promo" in the same Green as the Original kit

(Might be a Built kit!--Notice broken mirror post,and Lack of black-out trim around windows & Pillars!!)

Promo-Revell-Ford-Expedition-1-25

And here is a Red Promo; (WITH Promo Box)

1998-Ford-Expedition-promo-in-dark-red-by-Revell-Monogram

Here is a White one (Or at least Looks white in the pic;

Revell-Ford-Expedition-Junkyard-Truck-1-25

I am going to say that since all pictures on the box show the Yellow, or Green 

that likely those Custom issues are molded in those 2 colors

The kits I found listed as Opened do not show kit parts

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Thank you and very interesting info.I'm building the police version....without being the police ...just stock looking and it will be blk.going to change the ride height and wheels and tires.going to add frame hitch and different spare tire.one problem I haven't solved is the roof like rack bars.. the...police version don't have them.also one other thing being changed is the exhaust pipe from the rearend is going to be k&s aluminum tubing.I've got the rearend pretty much dune still looking for rims and tires,but may have the tires solved.thats my project with this kit...anyone else doing anything with this kit?......Chris 

Wheels most certainly are incorrect for a first-gen Expedition, which had five-bolt wheels. The wheels the kit includes are later style F-150 units, which have six (or seven with the heavy GVWR) bolts. 

Only one minor fit issue- and it's mostly due to an instruction error. Install the radar gun to the dash opposite of how it's shown in the diagram. Otherwise, the interior tub will not slip up into the body, and you may crack the windshield in the process. Ask me how I know... :lol:

They may have revised the instruction sheet since the initial run, but just something to watch out for. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first re-issue appears to have occurred in 2004. This time it was listed as a Custom Ford Expedition with no year listed. It still represents a 1997 model year vehicle, but comes with tinted windows and light covers, a new set of custom spoke rims and low profile Michelin tires. Molded in black with a dark grey interior. While only a mild custom it does not offer parts from the first issue to build a fully stock vehicle. This time it included stickers to provide a purple flame paint job. It was packaged in a more traditional top and bottom box this time under the Wheels of Fire line.

2004%20box_zpsjqzibj0t.jpg

2004%20box%20side_zpslhgmiqx1.jpg

2004%20body_zpsm4lybjk9.jpg

2004%20parts_zpsmdvemeqp.jpg

2004%20chrome_zps6lstvfyl.jpg

2004%20tires_zpsbcpjm1wf.jpg

Cool box art. Inspired me to build a Lighning stlye Expedition