Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Rat

Intmd8r

Started with a modified '31 Model A chassis from the Revell Rat Rod Sedan kit, the body is a tweaked (not twerk!) Jimmy Flintstone body.  The flat head engine is a true kit bash in every sense - resin Ardun heads, parts in blower and some PE parts sprinkled in for good measure.

The stance is higher than what I planned, but I'm pleased with it over all.

photo image_zps5rajp6n7.jpeg photo image_zpsrcem5uz8.jpeg photo image_zpsdawpie3p.jpeg photo image_zpsqsszcfvf.jpeg photo image_zps35ori6v3.jpeg photo image_zpsoju3duiw.jpeg photo image_zpscfnmwveu.jpeg photo image_zpssah7tcnp.jpeg photo image_zps5fog1str.jpeg

Turned out really neat! the scallops were definitely the way to go. I like the subtle weathering, open roof wood framing and the wrenches for door handles.

It's funny, the blown Ardun-headed flathead is a total juxtaposition to the rest of the car. That's a $25k engine in a $10k car! Probably way outside of a rat rodders budget! Aren't models awesome?

B) 

the blown Ardun-headed flathead is a total juxtaposition to the rest of the car. That's a $25k engine in a $10k car! Probably way outside of a rat rodders budget! Aren't models awesome?

B) 

She's not built for comfort! Just wanted something a little more uncommon than a typical Ford flat head or SBC power. Besides, Rat Rods don't need to make sense.

You summed up perfectly my thoughts on the hobby

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Edited by Intmd8r

I'm looking for uncommon engine ideas for a 34 Ford. Any thoughts? maybe I'll start this in a new thread.

That's a tough one to answer-totally a builders preference. You can flip through some old Hot Rod articles for ideas.

A straight 6 or diesel off the top of my head would be different. I used an Offy from a Kurtis Midget in my T roadster. Don' want to give away all my ideas lol

Since I've seen quite a number of "rat rods" out at Famoso at March Meets and the Hot Rod Reunion I've noticed a trend towards dirty, but running, stock engines. Filthy Old Skool V-8's and other strange things. SBC covered in Flame Cut 1/4 sheet steel doodads, and Cotton Picker spikes.  289 Ford w/ old 1950 Oil Bath Air Cleaner, just because it looks funky. That kind of thing.

I'd suggest either the Pacer or Gremlin Stock engines, suitably dirty, since those kits are on the shelf now. The 430 c.u. MEL Lincoln V-8 from the recent Round2 Model T kit, only seems to get used in that kit. I think it might look good in your '34. The Buick Nailhead in the Revell Tony Nancy combo kit would look great too, as it is better looking IHMO, that the Buick in the various AMT '40 Fords. Or to keep it all in the family, a Revell Parts Pack Ford 427 Big Block. That kit is still fairly easy to find and is all chrome.

Just some of my ideas.

Alan

I like this one a lot. It's not over the top, which is great to see because the rat rod trend has been a bit ridiculous for quite some time now. I mean lamp shades for air cleaner covers? Come on now, lol. The wood slats, door handles, club plate, bomber seats, and paint work great together.

One question, though. I'm really digging the header wrap. Care to share your technique?

Thanks a lot for the compliments.

The header wrap isn't really a secret since I got the tip from this site anyways. It's just a piece of masking tape cut into strips. The only trick is to use a dab of super glue at the ends, otherwise it will unwrap on you over time.