Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMW 327 Cabrio 1939

Balsa Manufaktur

Hello ... finally finished. Final details took a lot of time, also because had a funny custom build in the middle. Perhaps I show this later.

Here the link to WIP: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/112970-bmw-327-roadster-from-1939-scratchbuild-in-balsa/

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 2 light.jpg

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 3 light.jpg

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 1 light.jpg

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 4 light.jpg

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 5 light.jpg

BMW 327 1939 Balsa 6 light.jpg

Edited by Balsa Manufaktur

Amazing work. I see a lot of wooden car at Hobby Lobby, Home Goods, and At Home none of these come even close to what you build. Question ? Can a CNC machine be programmed to make wooden cars?

Hi Mike, thanks  ... I should receive a small CNC in some weeks ... so I would say yes. The point is what do you want? a full wooden piece or a model which gets near to the metal/plastic references? I use a lasercutter for many parts, so I can actually rebuild any of the models at any time. The point is how design the entire "kit" ... and here lies the ability ad experience I am trying to improve with each car. With the new CNC however I will see, perhaps I will again use it only for specific parts ....

Beautiful work. I am amazed with this. I have a question. How do you make the curved parts such as the wheel centers on this model? Is it layers of balsa that you carve the details out of, or do you get the balsa to bend simehow? 

Later- 

Beautiful work. I am amazed with this. I have a question. How do you make the curved parts such as the wheel centers on this model? Is it layers of balsa that you carve the details out of, or do you get the balsa to bend simehow? 

Later- 

Hello Tom,

Happy you like it. For you question: both. Some parts can be bended, some need to be carved and sanded. The mix makes the result. 

I like to have a result in which the thickness of the material is less possible, and for example, it is possible to see through the aeration holes of the motor cover to the other side :) ... and of course I am proud that the steering works perfectly from the steering wheel of the driver's seat. But for this I use Plywood, Balsa would be to weak by time.