Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Leal's California Flash

Marlowe

For many years, I've always wanted a 1965 altered wheelbase Mopar.  When they first emerged in 1965, they were so radical that the drag racing community was just universally enthralled with their match racing mission and their very odd look!  In '65, as a 14 year old I modified and built an AWB funny car from the Ramchargers AMT kit.  However, as an adult, and primarily a 1:18 diecast collector, I wanted want in my favorite scale of 1:18.

For years, I've written various diecast makers trying to convince them to build an AWB car.  Every time I mailed a request, the response was always a politely worded "not in our plans in the foreseeable future."  Since none were coming, I decided to build my own in 1:18 scale.  I began with a '65 Plymouth made by Highway 61/Supercar Collectibles. 

Here's the interesting part and a true story!  While the paint was drying on this model, (literally, not figuratively) Supercar Collectibles announced they were coming out with a line of AWB Plymouths including the Butch Leal car!  After years of wanting one of these models, a manufacturer finally stepped up and decided to build these remarkable cars!  

h6150596.jpg
Paintstrippedplugsinplace.jpg

Chassisentire.jpg
TrunkTopView.jpg
IMG_1387.jpg
FinishedSideSmall3-1.jpg
FinishedEngine.jpg
FinishedInterior.jpg
%7Boption%7D
ButchLealAWBPlymouth.jpg

Edited by Marlowe

Wow! For a diecast, that is outstanding work. I have one question: When they altered the floorboard/chassis, did the gas  tank remain in the stock location?  I know  some racers moved  a moon style tank to the front  grille area too. Just curious because I don;t have enough reference material on this. Also, the cars changed rapidly throughout the season as more and better technology became available.

Wow! For a diecast, that is outstanding work. I have one question: When they altered the floorboard/chassis, did the gas  tank remain in the stock location?  I know  some racers moved  a moon style tank to the front  grille area too. Just curious because I don;t have enough reference material on this. Also, the cars changed rapidly throughout the season as more and better technology became available.

Thanks for the compliment.  Fuel tanks were removed and replaced with moon tanks.  In most cases, the tanks were in the trunk area. 

Edited by Marlowe