Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo Race Rig

One night, I was doing an online image search and stumbled across some vintage GATR (Great American Truck Race) photos. I immediately wanted to try to build something like what I was seeing in the pics, and I had an incomplete Diamond Reo kit, so I decided to put two and two together. This was basically a quick, two-weekend project, and I used whatever I had on hand. The paint was done outside with rattle cans, so it would intentionally be a bit on the rough side... I actually wish it looked a little shabbier than it does. :lol: It appears that GATR racers tended to favor disc wheels, but a few did run spoke wheels, so that's what I went with on this. The exhaust, roll bar, rear bumper, and side guards are scratchbuilt, while the fuel tank and batteries have been moved behind the cab. The parts box coughed up various doodads, such as the side-view mirrors and the single racing seat. I have absolutely no idea how accurate it is, as I was basically going only by pictures and what little info I could glean from various online articles. But, it was a fun little project and it's an interesting shelf-filler, so I'd call it a win. 

001_zpseggycw15.jpg

002_zpsies71juo.jpg

003_zpsjvdpqnrd.jpg

004_zpsvohco78m.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

Looks pretty darned good, to me.....Great job using your imagination on this one....I'm sure somebody could have something very similar in 1:1, If they had thought of using a DR....I think it's awesome....

X X's 2  I like it Nice fill in project!

Be Well

Gator

• 3 weeks later...