Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW release - White Freightliner Single-Drive (AMT 1004)

Funny when you hover over the photo or click on it it reads "Ford C-600 Strike Truck". Never been a huge fan of the Freightliner COE but it still might be a good Hobby Lobby pick up when they get released.

Probably stake truck, not strike truck. My biggest issue with the Freightliners was cab style. If a back dated cab was easily available ( circa mid 60's ) in resin,  I'd would definately be a buyer.

Edited by leafsprings

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what's the big deal in this kit and why ebay offers fhave been ridiculously overpriced in the past?

I think there is much more benefit in the other version: you get 10 wheels, 3 rear axles, a longer frame and you have the choice between sleeper cab or daycab (with some work).

For me, there is no obvious advantage in the single-axle daycab - that would make sense only for a boxart-collector....

Can anyone tell me what's the big deal in this kit and why ebay offers fhave been ridiculously overpriced in the past?

I think there is much more benefit in the other version: you get 10 wheels, 3 rear axles, a longer frame and you have the choice between sleeper cab or daycab (with some work).

For me, there is no obvious advantage in the single-axle daycab - that would make sense only for a boxart-collector....

If you're into modifying trucks to your liking (like I am) then extra wheels, axles, etc., come in handy for the parts box. But we have to remember that not everyone has the skills to alter cabs, frames, etc. Beginning builders usually don't want to do much more than just put a kit together and paint it. With the White-Freightliner SD a builder, beginner or experienced, can just put it together and put it in front of a set of doubles or whatever trailer they want without modification. Without this kit everyone would have to start slicing and dicing on a WF DD...like we have to do if we want a KW or Pete day cab COE. :)

Edited by Mike77

Speaking of box art, the Allied Van Lines  tractor on the side box shows the older rounded fenders,  unlike what came in the kit. Here is my attempt to back date fenders,  this one built about a dozen years ago.

IMG_5044.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably stake truck, not strike truck. My biggest issue with the Freightliners was cab style. If a back dated cab was easily available ( circa mid 60's ) in resin,  I'd would definately be a buyer.

Since freightliners cab changed very little from the 60s to early 70s amts kits are easily backdated.

If you're into modifying trucks to your liking (like I am) then extra wheels, axles, etc., come in handy for the parts box. But we have to remember that not everyone has the skills to alter cabs, frames, etc. Beginning builders usually don't want to do much more than just put a kit together and paint it. With the White-Freightliner SD a builder, beginner or experienced, can just put it together and put it in front of a set of doubles or whatever trailer they want without modification. Without this kit everyone would have to start slicing and dicing on a WF DD...like we have to do if we want a KW or Pete day cab COE. :)

Since single axle daycab freightliners were as common in the 60s and 70s as cascadias and centurys are today  there's oodles of projects possible.

Edited by lapazleo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...