Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jairus Watson Visits Cranky's Workshop

Dr. Cranky

There was D. Cranky working diligently in his shop, when suddenly someone knocs on the door and it's none other than a famous representative from Jairus Watson's workbench coming over for a visit . . . he actually brought Cranky a new box of Cuban seed stoggies . . .

So, after much celebration, then came the photo op before this thin fellow headed back home to Portland. :P:D:D

015-vi.jpg

016-vi.jpg

018-vi.jpg

Gee, look how well he fits into his parking spot!

019-vi.jpg

For more pictures of this newly built photo op base, please visit my Fotki archives. Enjoy! :P:P:P

You guys are too cool!

Virgil and I love the fact that this dirty... rusty, and rotting piece is sooo well received.

Makes me wonder why it was passed over at the GSL XXI for the inaccurate and hack piece that won in the street rod class. But that is for another thread... ;)

J, don't beat yourself too badly about it. You know, it does bring up an interesting point that a lot of people are a bit hesitant to appreciate anything with skelentons, skulls, many of the darker details of life, you know . . . and many won't acknowledge it.

I know a great build when I see one, that's for sure. ;)

Virgil,

You may have a point... but I believe it goes deeper than just Skulls and dark macabre themes. I am pretty sure that it is more visceral and psychological than the addition of a little skeleton figure!

I think the judges at GSL are.... (gasp) "Weathered Challenged"!

Yes, I strongly believe that the individuals who make the judgmental decisions have a strong bias against flat finished model cars believing that a winner in the Street Rod class or Custom class need fit a certain TEMPLATE in order to take the gold!

Maybe it is a prejudice against military modelers or maybe more simply a preconceived aptitude towards shiny paint. Whatever the reason, the obvious truth is that any car not containing enough bright work to attract a crow will not even be looked at, passed over, excused and immune to any class win at the Greater Salt Lake International Model Car Contest!

P.S. Not only that, but it would beat the pants off of Andy's V12 roadster right at the starting line in a 1:1 race due to his use of wire rims! Just imagine the shape those rims would be in after dumping the clutch... ;)

Edited by Jairus

I think you are right on all those levels . . . I see it mostly happening with junkers, beaters, and rat rods . . . most modelers are wired to still build shiny, and with lots of plumbing and wiring . . .

My attitude is that I learn from all diferent kinds of models and modeling . . . period. That's the only way I know of pushing the limits on myself . . .

I've been on board where even my name and the tripple six causes quite a bit of anxiety, so much so that after I left, my name was changed without my permission. Oh yes, it's true. ;)

Macabre, anything gothy, or even Steampunkish, which is the new NEW I am excited about, creates tension in alot of people.

Ha! I like that. A few years ago, someone at my daughter's school complained about all my "scary" biker t-shirt. They said I scared the children . . .

There's always one person in a group that is easily scared and then the group has to accomodate those fears . . .

Anyway, long live skulls & skeletons in the Hot Rot/Rat Rod tradition!!!