Model Cars Magazine Forum

In a slump with my BRBO truck, and some of the other builds, so I grabbed this one and want to put together what is hopefully a quick build. Will not be built box stock. There's a definite theme to this one, will see if my scratchbuilding skills are good enough to keep me happy with the results.

IMG_20160612_1534299_zpsyd294wtn.jpg

The kit itself is kind of terrible. This is a prime example of why kits shouldn't be reissued unless they can be done right. The flash, sink marks, mold lines, etc are horrible. 

I've assembled the truck's box, and have done the basic assembly on the engine & trans, axles, etc. The truck box doesn't fit together very well, and I found that the passenger side inner box is a little longer than the other side. What this means is that the tailgate may not close flush. I think that's an easy fix though. 

IMG_20160612_1534457_zpsyucpwvmg.jpg

IMG_20160612_1535149_zpsbydevcgr.jpg

IMG_20160612_1535064_zpsyg8chnp1.jpg

I just about given up on that extra long wheelbase  F 350 super camper special bed. Most of mine end up as chassis cabs with dual wheels. Waiting for the much more common F 100 or F 250 bed for these kits. But, a shortbed stepside 4x4, seems doable now, thanks to the '53 Ford pickup kit.

• 2 months later...

Super slow progress, but here's where it's at now.

Have some painting done. Frame and suspension are complete. Engine has paint. I know it's not exactly Ford blue, but it's close enough for me.

IMG_20160828_1545547_zpsbhs9kdga.jpg

Body is painted too. Everything coming along well. Slow, but well.

Typical. Truck's not even done, and the box is being used to store stuff.

IMG_20160828_1546116_zpsz5w2ph0a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on your model, but I just cannot deal with the funky "Camper Special" wheelbase and right side wheelhouse. I recently got a Mobeius F100 long bed, which I plan to use as a pattern to adjust the wheelbase to a standard 8 foot bed truck for my 1976 F350 Ranger XLT Project.

MAMAOctober182014042_zps846ec173.jpg

MAMAOctober182014030_zpsffd83a69.jpg

MAMAOctober182014033_zps96652937.jpg

I have cleaned it up, raised the windshield mouldings, and removed the glue smears.  I hope to get some further work done to it soon. While it is not as nice as the Mobieus, it is still a quite nice kit. I have a '78 like yours, which will stay as a :Camper Special, as I am going to put a 5th Wheel hitch on it for my Galaxie Trailer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...