Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 C-10 Fleetside Overhaulin' Type Re-build for Dad Finished: 02-26-17

This here is a model my Dad had been tinkering with every now and then for the past few years. His hands hurt a little to much to enjoy building and he's very busy with work and life type stuff so he offered to me last week to either part out or scrap all together.

Naturally I'm doing neither, instead I'm going to tear it down and re-build/restore it for him as a late Father's Day present. Going in a Overhaulin' style with it, he knows it's happening but won't really get to see it until it's finished. I'll be taking a few idea's he's thrown around for his 1:1 Suburban and add few of my own in as well. The end result will be something along the lines of a Overhaulin'/ Fast & Furious/ resto-mod type'ish (lots of "ish" in there) custom truck.

Some of the idea's are as follows.

The one big thing he'd like to see is the bare metal finish that's becoming quite popular. Got a plan that proved to be very promising. But I'm open to hearing ideas too, backup plans are always good to have.

It's going bumper less. Among some of the ideas he's tossed around for his 1:1 removing the bumpers has been something he mentions often so I'll be applying that to this build.

Changing the tail light set up in the back. Not going with the usual Corvette treatment, instead I'll go with a tail light design he's very found of and that's the '67 GTO's quad light.

Big horsepower, naturally. Swapping the Standard  283 small block with the 396 big block out of the '67 Pro-street Chevelle. Tossing a supercharger on it to for good measure. :D

Custom grill and a few other ideas that I'm still working out.

I was initially hoping to have it done before Father's Day but 7 days in and I'm still doing body work. There's a ton more to be done after that and as nice as it would be I'm not going to rush it, I want to do it right and to the very best of my ability.

Picture time.

Starting point: Believe it or not that color is that $1.29 bottle paint in Wal-Marts craft section, brushed on even. That stuff's not half bad. 

Image may contain: table

Rims will also be getting stripped due to the paint and scratches on them.

No automatic alt text available.

After stripping.

Image may contain: indoor

Removed the grill mounts to make room for the custom grill.

Removed the gas cap and side trim for a smooth body. Will also be bodying in the door handles as the handles themselves are missing.

Lower plate for the back with the GTO style lights.

And after the first round of body work, starting on the second round.

Thanks for looking, more to come.

Edited by TFchronos
Update

Jonathon,

i like your  Overhaulin idea ! And it looks like you are off to a good start . Are you going to paint it the same color  ? 

Something you might want to consider. As your Dad chose that color to begin with. I like your GTO tailights . I will be followin this thread.

Be Well

Gator

Jonathon,

i like your  Overhaulin idea ! And it looks like you are off to a good start . Are you going to paint it the same color  ? 

Something you might want to consider. As your Dad chose that color to begin with. I like your GTO tailights . I will be followin this thread.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks, I going to try to do a bare metal finish first. It's something he's become interested in recently. For the past 2 months we have been in the process of removing all 52 odd years of paint from his 1:1 '64 Suburban, we want to take it down to the bare metal to have a clean slate of sorts. As we're revealing more of the metal he's been liking the look more and more and asked if I could do something similar for the truck.

Jonathan, you did a Firebird or Trans am for him a couple a years ago right? Your a good man. You have some cool ideas for this build...

Yes,  I replicated his '77 Formula back in '14. He's done a lot and the best he can and these builds are the least I can do to show my appreciation for all he's done.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the body work it definitely wasn't done for Father's Day but I did the body work finished and did a little mock up for him, he's liking it a lot. :)

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: food

Looking at it we both noted that it looked like it was sitting a little high so I'll try lowering it a little. That's next on the list as well as getting the motor finished and mounted, just remembered I still need to cut a hole in the hood for the blower.

Edited by TFchronos

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update, had to make a couple changes one was cutting off the round cylinders Revel had for the coil springs, made actual springs with some jewelry wire. I've also had to cut away the rear wheel wells so the street tires will fit properly and the ride height has been lowered a little bit.

The motor is mostly assembled, still got to do run all the wires and hoses.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks fellas!

Update time (finally) Got the engine situated and sprayed Flat Black then Gloss Black on the body in preparation for the Spaz Stix Chorming. The roof piece did wrinkle so I'll have to sand and re-spray that, Thankfully it's a separate piece from the body.

Image may contain: table

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get a good shiny metal finish either wait and polish the black, or put on a really shiny clear coat. You can use something like testors one coat wet look clear, or Krylon makes a clear that's sold as a clear glaze coat that is basically just a high solid clear and one wet coat builds like two, but you can even wait to polish it to a super high gloss before putting the Spaz-Stix Mirror Chrome on. Because the smoother the black finish is the better and more real looking your chrome finish will turn out. The real good thing about Mirror Chrome is they produce a clear top coat for it that won't affect the shine like happens with Alclad. It can even be top coated with two part urethane clear, the trick is letting it cure out completely. I race RC Sprint Cars and some of the guys use the Spaz-Stix on the wings using black on the back of the Lexan, the Mirror Chrome on the outside surface and use their clear to protect it because they definitely get handled a lot and they stay looking like highly polished aluminum after more than a full season of racing, it works good enough that many guys don't replace the wing after a season of racing, they just replace the side panels and re-use the center section of the wing.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get a good shiny metal finish either wait and polish the black, or put on a really shiny clear coat. You can use something like testors one coat wet look clear, or Krylon makes a clear that's sold as a clear glaze coat that is basically just a high solid clear and one wet coat builds like two, but you can even wait to polish it to a super high gloss before putting the Spaz-Stix Mirror Chrome on. Because the smoother the black finish is the better and more real looking your chrome finish will turn out. The real good thing about Mirror Chrome is they produce a clear top coat for it that won't affect the shine like happens with Alclad. It can even be top coated with two part urethane clear, the trick is letting it cure out completely. I race RC Sprint Cars and some of the guys use the Spaz-Stix on the wings using black on the back of the Lexan, the Mirror Chrome on the outside surface and use their clear to protect it because they definitely get handled a lot and they stay looking like highly polished aluminum after more than a full season of racing, it works good enough that many guys don't replace the wing after a season of racing, they just replace the side panels and re-use the center section of the wing.

Yep, I've used Mirror Chrome on a couple of things before and a smooth high gloss black finish is key. I'm in the process of polishing the body smooth, after that's done I'll start spraying the mirror chrome.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks fellas!

Got the black polished down last Sunday and started spraying  the Mirror Chrome Tuesday and got the Clear Coat on Yesterday so paint is done. I did try taking various grits of sand paper over a hidden area to try and replicate the scratched metal look. Unfortunately that didn't turn out well so I'm scraping the idea, my Dad's very happy with how it looks right now so I'll be leaving it alone. One change I think I'll make is painting the rims Metallic Grey, I think it'll compliment the finish a little better plus Black rims are pretty common, I haven't seen many around with grey.

Pictures: right after chroming.

Clear coated from today.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Next is the Interior I think, the clear is still a little sticky so I'll be letting it sit for a week to cure.

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by TFchronos

Looking great! I like what you are doing with this one. Any ideas on the grille yet?

I am working on one right now myself. I raised the bed floor for clearance. Been building a custom bagged rear suspension this week.

Later- 

Thanks!

I'm going to and make a wire mesh grille, I've got a interesting yet simple idea for it that I'd like to keep secret until I get it mounted.

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys sorry for dropping off like that, had some stuff happen but it's back on the bench again. Got some Interior work done. 

Yeah, she's getting a bottle. : )

Should have the details for the bed completed next. Then it'll be mounting and plumbing the engine. 

Looking to have her wrapped up by Sunday.

Thanks for looking.

Got the truck bed finalized. Went with aluminum plates instead of Wooden boards. Also put the XL fuel cell in the back. At 5- miles to the gallon She'll need it haha.

The engine is in place and drying, all that's left is plumbing and exhaust and I think she'll be done.