Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 Dodge Charger Build from scratch

dosimeter

Added B pillars insides, and A pillars. More filling and sanding too. Getting A pillars aligned was tricky, and I messed it up a little bit. But then I covered them both in depoxy and sanded until they looked the same, pictures of that later. These ones are before the correction.20160617_205534.thumb.jpg.d8de63f9ac7dd620160617_205547.thumb.jpg.add3edc92ef5d720160618_000754.thumb.jpg.c5e522c3bfc6e020160617_205525.thumb.jpg.3d13114ba58f50

i have to say you have a great eye for creating shapes ..the shapes look spot on  ! , roof might need work but the shapes are there ! very cool ,

idea > to make the moldings around the windows you could use round wire and after they are on .. sand them in shape ..

i made the window moldings on my 1/25 revell charger from brass , bend them and glued them on with superglue .. then filed the shape in them

and as for wheels you can look for some 1/18 wheels online there are nice rims/tyres out there .. or get hold of a old 1/18 model and use the wheels?

your windows ..rear window is easy its pretty flat you could use clear material from anywhere , food containers .. bet would be to get hold of some thicker lexan ... but  that front window is harder .. it curved ...i could be poible to make a mold from styrene or wood and then put on some clear material and by heating it (oven?) make it ink over the mold ...

i have to say you have a great eye for creating shapes ..the shapes look spot on  ! , roof might need work but the shapes are there ! very cool ,

idea > to make the moldings around the windows you could use round wire and after they are on .. sand them in shape ..

i made the window moldings on my 1/25 revell charger from brass , bend them and glued them on with superglue .. then filed the shape in them

6361902a0d2fca741d43621550d4b2a5.jpg

79aa8baa8416b918992737bfad18376c.jpg

000807d441ec649b790c3e64c99f2c51.jpg

24b25cd97df854d7d49df211637c0303.jpg

and as for wheels you can look for some 1/18 wheels online there are nice rims/tyres out there .. or get hold of a old 1/18 model and use the wheels?

your windows ..rear window is easy its pretty flat you could use clear material from anywhere , food containers .. bet would be to get hold of some thicker lexan ... but  that front window is harder .. it curved ...i could be poible to make a mold from styrene or wood and then put on some clear material and by heating it (oven?) make it ink over the mold ...

Thanks Richard. I actually cut paper parts when it came to matching the complicated shapes like fenders. Others are very simple for this car as it turns out. 

The window idea is great. I think a copper or brass wire will be quite easy to sand than steel. Will try that for sure. Did you tape the windows while painting or put them afterwards? Heating and molding came to my mind earlier but that is way too out of the things I can do :) 

Edited by dosimeter

Sanded A pillars today. They do look symmetrical but there is still some fine sanding to be done. Also the rear is taking shape very well. Sanded that too. Still needs some filling but I ran out of depoxi.20160619_043900.thumb.jpg.ecfd1b28216ba020160619_043913.thumb.jpg.08cb72ee20df4120160619_043926.thumb.jpg.06e0b51594ab9620160619_043934.thumb.jpg.da78cfb626ee23

The part where the roof ends is a little more curved downwards when I compared to the original pictures and other models. I am thinking of leaving it as is though I can change it by filling. Also, can I use plaster of paris for filling?

Could someone please answer these?

1) What sandpaper should I be using for final sanding? Currently I am using 120 and 220 grit. This works well with metal but when it comes to filler, I think I should be using a finer grit because it leaves it rough.

2) Wet sanding or dry sanding? I haven't tried wet. Is it preferred? If so then why and when?

3) Can I use Plaster of Paris as filler?

For final sanding 300 and 400 grit should work and then some 600 grit. 

Wet sanding keeps the sand paper clean with no build up.  

For filler you might want to try Bondo or some other auto body filler.  These will adhere well to the metal which they are made to do.  Plaster may not stick as well on the metal.  You can spread the auto body filler right over the panels and shape it to match the die cast body.  The auto body filler sands easily.   

6361902a0d2fca741d43621550d4b2a5.jpg

79aa8baa8416b918992737bfad18376c.jpg

000807d441ec649b790c3e64c99f2c51.jpg

24b25cd97df854d7d49df211637c0303.jpg

Richard, do you have a build thread?

Started making doors today. As it has slits on them, I decided to make a plain door and then added this E shaped bit to make the slits. Now all relies on sanding. Any idea how can I file/sand inside the depressions? It will take a lot of time!20160620_062832.thumb.jpg.cfb3972d48a5d420160620_061625.thumb.jpg.5ec8fc6b34eea6

What paint should I go for? I was searching for tamiya paints and turns out there's several types like acrylic, enamel, lacquer, polycarbonate. Which would be good for metal? And are primers different for different paints or same?

Ahmed, I recently used Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer System paint for a car I finished but I don't know if you can get this paint where you live.

I would use either an enamel or lacquer for the body.  I use Tamiya Fine Surface primer and really like it.  It's for plastic and metal.  It should be good for your project.  Tamaya also makes lacquer spray paints.  Tamiya paints are easier to come by. 

Polycarbonate paint is for R/C car bodies.  I'm not sure if it would be good for the metal body.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Ahmed, I recently used Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer System paint for a car I finished but I don't know if you can get this paint where you live.

I would use either an enamel or lacquer for the body.  I use Tamiya Fine Surface primer and really like it.  It's for plastic and metal.  It should be good for your project.  Tamaya also makes lacquer spray paints.  Tamiya paints are easier to come by. 

Polycarbonate paint is for R/C car bodies.  I'm not sure if it would be good for the metal body.

Mike.

Thanks Michael. I have found contact of a Tamiya distributor in Pakistan. Will be contacting them shortly!

Mike.

The Tamiya RC paints would work fine on a metal body, they're way too "hot" for polystyrene though. I'm not sure if the dry flat, since they are sprayed on the inside of a clear body, they don't need to be glossy.

looking good , love the progress , doors look good maybe try to make the raised line around the indentations with small round rods ..

oh and about the window question always put windows in after paint .. will work best ....

Hey thanks Richard. Have done some more work. Made both doors, working on the raised lines. Also I have installed the boot. My diecast model's boot did not open but I made this one to open too. Will share pictures later!

The Tamiya RC paints would work fine on a metal body, they're way too "hot" for polystyrene though. I'm not sure if the dry flat, since they are sprayed on the inside of a clear body, they don't need to be glossy.

Yeah I just remembered that RC paints go on the inside of the transparent body. If I can get both enamel or lacquer, which should I use? I've heard enamel takes longer time to dry but is more durable than lacquer??