Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 Dodge Charger Build from scratch

dosimeter

I would use an etch primer first for metal as this will bite into the surface before you prime and paint anything

Follow Dave's advice with the Primer, the etching Primer will work perfect for the metal body. If this were my build, especially since it's metal, I'd go with Lacquers all the way. Faster drying, better shine when polished out, and you can simply buy regular Automotive paints, you'll need the bigger cans for a 1/18th body!

Edited by Custom Mike
Spelling

I would use an etch primer first for metal as this will bite into the surface before you prime and paint anything

Follow Dave's advice with the Primer, the etching Primer will work perfect for the metal body. If this were my build, especially since it's metal, I'd go with Lacquers all the way. Faster drying, better shine when polished out, and you can simply buy regular Automotive paints, you'll need the bigger cans for a 1/18th body!

I will try to get my hands on one. The only problem I have is that I don't have an air compressor setup for painting so I need spray cans to paint. It is almost impossible to find fine quality paint spray cans. I found the contact of a Tamiya distributor here and I am waiting for the reply. Does Tamiya make the etch primer too? If yes then can you please give me the link to there website for the code/number of the product.

Update:

Made both doors, sanded too but no pictures of that right now.

fc0017f1c4543c3e80fead2894a15592.jpg

Separated the front section, made it reattachable with 2 mechano pieces! I was nervous of messing it up but it went fine. Had to take fenders off and reattach. 

8a0c86967cc6262d293d3136fb8c521a.jpg
2e762b75cf0d1ee6c8e4c670742f0164.jpg

Done the boot. It opens too. Still some gap left that I will cover later.

561317315388363527ee3a42ba86783a.jpg

The two B pillars aren't symmetric when seen from rear, I am filing and sanding them, hope that does the job.

15f7dc0e971e79e5a86b71022abc94d6.jpg

Just beware when working with lots of superglue. I got glued so bad I thought my skin was gonna come off!

b3e728a6d12a155382aa96d83a136844.jpgb3fee95139807e8a812ee525451f2c57.jpg

Ahmed, I'm not sure Tamiya makes an Etching primer myself, I don't use their paints often enough because I have Dupli-Color readily available. I'm sure someone here can say yes or no on that. Here's the link to Tamiya's site, and a link to their online catalog page.

http://www.tamiya.com/    http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/archive.htm  

Edited by Custom Mike
Spelling

Ahmed, I'm not sure Tamiya makes an Etching primer myself, I don't use their paints often enough because I have Dupli-Color readily available. I'm sure someone here can say yes or no on that. Here's the link to Tamiya's site, and a link to their online catalog page.

http://www.tamiya.com/    http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/archive.htm  

I dug around on their Japanese website and found this, it doesn't list as an Etching Primer, but it is designed for Metal. It's listed as unavailable here in the US, but you can apparently still get it from Japan.

http://tamiyashop.jp/shop/g/g87061/

Thanks mike. I am still trying to contact them. Will try again tomorrow. Anyways I got this very cheap chrome paint from a local paint shop, I think the paint is local made too. Tried it, doesn't give a good shine. It looks more like refined silver than chrome. If I couldn't get a better one I would go with it...

Update:

A lot of work on rear end. Specially the pillars. They do look quite symmetric now but still require some fine work. I think I filled and sanded more than 5 times.And still filled, will sand them later. The rear window is taking good shape!

70a010f20bcbc6d3206fe10ad931b98b.jpg

The current status. Cut the hood earlier today. But it's very raw as of now. The doors have been sanded and filled about 3 times already, some more of it to do. I tried to get that contour on the upper edge in the picture, it looks pretty satisfying in to naked eye.

d8b0058d4609f0d098f008a248b9144b.jpg

A bit clearer in this one

cd2718577b7607407f9033006e4f942a.jpg

And yes, the opening boot!

c27f511ad508e835735eb6d7d2953bd3.jpg

I also checked my inventory today, found four designs that were complete sets. The second one from left (black 5 spoke) is a bit bigger for this but I think giving it a little stance will look cool. Whichever I choose, I'll have to repaint.

9ada1a4e89741c33b84b74337d9546e3.jpg

With flash to highlight the spokes :)

44ac918cdc89bbc35ed277fff6d5224c.jpg

Painted one to check the results with my chrome paint. This is single coat. I applied another one after the picture. Lets see how that works out.

9341089767205fb70845d9f862e17018.jpg

And now the windows. I got a mobile phone glass protector for and tried to cut it with a mini saw blade that I made myself (attached to my 12V drill). Tried hard to cut it but it always cracks. Then I tried sanding it and it worked. Since it is very thin glass, sanding it is very easy and quick. I'll have to get at least one more protector to complete the rear and side windows. Still looking for things to go with front windshield.

bffe5d01ed312e9aea589721d72c90da.jpg