Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 Dodge Charger Build from scratch

dosimeter

Hello everyone, I am new here. I am building my first ever scale model and that too from scratch. I am using a box of sweets for the sheet metal to from parts of the car and a general lee scale model as the template. Attaching some pictures too. I started this last year in January but took a long time off after making fenders, Now I am back and the progress is good. Using just superglue and depoxi to join everything. Will need suggestions, specially for paint, wheels and windscreens.

1422020201066.jpg

1422020244156.jpg

1422214478638.jpg

20160529_050456.jpg

This is from beginning of the project. Fresh fender cutouts :)

1422020180341.thumb.jpg.a3760853215f47da

Gluing the fender/quarter panel

1422214306578.thumb.jpg.1ee2cc7639902044

I used a steel cloth hanger to make the frame to hold panels. Had to do repeat it a couple of times. I was just using a pair of pliers and it later came out that the chassis was twisted. Had to go through a lot of effort to make it right. Seems symmetrical now.

1422104096785.thumb.jpg.b209373031b219e7

Wow, this is unique! So far, it looks pretty good, you'll have a lot of sanding and filling ahead of you for sure. For the windows, simple clear plastic sheet should work fine, you may want to add a channel around each window opening to "lay" the glass in. As far as the rims, I wouldn't even know where to start on those. Is it going to have the same type of rims as the General Lee?

Edited by Custom Mike

The body is very good . It looks like you got the basic shape. I would be tempted to put some braceing in the body so it doesn't fold up on you when your working it.

Thanks for appreciation.

Yes I would try to put some bracing, may be strengthening the frame permanently before I start sanding it.

Wow, this is unique! So far, it looks pretty good, you'll have a lot of sanding and filling ahead of you for sure. For the windows, simple clear plastic sheet should work fine, you may want to add a channel around each window opening to "lay" the glass in. As far as the rims, I wouldn't even know where to start on those. Is it going to have the same type of rims as the General Lee?

Thanks.

I was wondering if there is any better solution to the windows? Plastic sheets do the job but I don't like the fact that they are very flexible. As for the rims, no I don't plan to have same as General Lee. So far I have these options

Buy rims

Make from scratch (difficult)

Modify some old plastic wheels with the same sheet metal

And I think the third one is reasonable

Are there any websites where I can buy rims and wheels? would like to check that out too.

Very impressive work so far!

Will you be scratch building the interior?

How do you plan on making the chassis?

Thanks. Yes, I want to scratch build the interior and chassis. For the Chassis, I could use the same steel rod I used for framing the body and then covering it with same sheetmetal. Though I haven't tried it yet so may or may not work.

Any Ideas on that?

This may sound like a stupid question, but WHY?

Robert

Because I like doing it. And because everyone can post comments but not everyone can try this hard at something :) And not every scale model is this much handbuilt  :P 

Thanks. Yes, I want to scratch build the interior and chassis. For the Chassis, I could use the same steel rod I used for framing the body and then covering it with same sheetmetal. Though I haven't tried it yet so may or may not work.

Any Ideas on that?

Your ideas sound good!  Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Model both make nice styrene shapes that might also work for the frame but the steel rods will be stronger.

What color will you be painting this?  

Thanks.

I was wondering if there is any better solution to the windows? Plastic sheets do the job but I don't like the fact that they are very flexible. As for the rims, no I don't plan to have same as General Lee. So far I have these options

Buy rims

Make from scratch (difficult)

Modify some old plastic wheels with the same sheet metal

And I think the third one is reasonable

Are there any websites where I can buy rims and wheels? would like to check that out too.

If you use .010 or .015 clear sheet, it should be fine. I know Pegasus Hobbies makes rims sets, but I don't know if they make 1/18th scale. You may be able to use a set from another Die-Cast, that's the way i would go at least.

Your ideas sound good!  Plastruct and Evergreen Scale Model both make nice styrene shapes that might also work for the frame but the steel rods will be stronger.

What color will you be painting this?  

Thanks. I may end up painting black (like fast and furious) or red or maybe pearl white. What color should I use? Normal spray cans that I get off the stores aren't good for this. Plus I have spent so much time on it, spending a little extra on paint would hurt. Any brands that make paints for scale models?