Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi EM series 1971 Ferrari 365GTS4

Mike C

Well, I've had this kit since about '99. It was originally $25. So when I decided it was time to build it I researched the car on the net and came across the kit on Ebay for about $150. And I also came across a PE set for it. I sent away for the PE set and got it in four days. Amazing for a collector kit that's not in production any more. Thanks for looking. Here is the box art first:

fuj08024box_zpstickfqng.jpg

Here is a walk around the chassis with the engine and transaxle installed:

P1030445%20Large_zpsibhrm167.jpg
P1030446%20Large_zpshdjokmc9.jpg
P1030447%20Large_zpsmxqr09jw.jpg
P1030448%20Large_zpsar8bry89.jpg
P1030441%20Large_zpsbbimgjtu.jpg
P1030442%20Large_zpsl7emvlsu.jpg
P1030443%20Large_zpsq5ocrbaa.jpg
P1030444%20Large_zpskklcnjrc.jpg

Here's closer up on the engine. My ref photos had red plug wires with a white sleeve. I just dipped the wires in white paint:

P1030450%20Large_zpscjakxobt.jpg
P1030449%20Large_zpsgrcekfhu.jpg
P1030451%20Large_zpsfllhrgg5.jpg

Edited by Mike C

Beautiful chassis work!

One suggestion if I may-----or I should say more of a caution. If you're going to use the wire wheels, I found them to stick out from the body unacceptably far due to the wheel hubs being maybe a bit too long. I built this many years ago (late '80's) and that's what I can remember from mine. I ended sanding the hubs down to get the wheels to tuck in further. 

I could have assembled the hubs wrong to begin with-----I'm not sure as it was so long ago, but it wouldn't hurt to test fit the wheels to make sure all is well before final gluing. ;)

Beautiful chassis work!

One suggestion if I may-----or I should say more of a caution. If you're going to use the wire wheels, I found them to stick out from the body unacceptably far due to the wheel hubs being maybe a bit too long. I built this many years ago (late '80's) and that's what I can remember from mine. I ended sanding the hubs down to get the wheels to tuck in further. 

I could have assembled the hubs wrong to begin with-----I'm not sure as it was so long ago, but it wouldn't hurt to test fit the wheels to make sure all is well before final gluing. ;)

Thanks for that tip. I was thinking of using the wire wheels. I certainly check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

My kit came in today.

One of the worst package/shipping jobs I have ever had from an E Bay auction. Loose part trees, loose parts off the tree, a broken wheel wire, loose and scratched clear windows, warped removable top and broken roofline on body.

It is all fixable, just more work. I bagged all parts, bubble wrapped body and just babied her a bit.

Old buyer beware adage as when I scrolled down in the auction there WAS a photo of the mess in the box. So my fault

Keep posting away your beautiful build, so as to get me inspired

• 1 month later...

Here's an update. I now have the interior tub finished and I also did the insulation under the hood which came out realistic looking using that alum. duct tape. This kit may look as good as a Tamiya kit when you open the box but it does not go together as well. So here's the pictures:

That is coming together nicely. EJan make a comprehensive upgrade kit for this Daytona which includes P/E wire wheels with aluminium rims. I believe EJan is actually Model Factory Hiro by another name.

http://www.club-barchetta.com/SHOP/E801.html

A lot of these Fujimi EM kits are being reissued in new cartoon type boxes and don't carry the price tags demanded for the original EM boxed issue

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10304490

Whenever I come accross the EM-kits I just buy them within reasonable money (which is below 25 dollars). They have been sold quite a lot for a long time and still being reissued by Fujimi for nice prices. Regurarly.

I love the old box-art a whole lot better than the new ones, they are/were so beautiful, true art. 

And you are doing a nice job on this beauty, even though it might be a tricky kit, it is very pleasing when finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of the paint booth. Actually it's the 3rd and final coat that needs a little polishing and then waxing. And I just finished of the spray can. I usually airbrush but I used Tamiya laquer on this one and that comes out beautiful right out of the can.

P1030540%20Large_zpsqijrj5ml.jpg
P1030539%20Large_zpshjhlyrix.jpg
P1030541%20Large_zpsa5ntmhrs.jpg
P1030542%20Large_zpswijznclm.jpg
P1030543%20Large_zpsdm2l4zei.jpg

Edited by Mike C