Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mike Durant Redwood Contruction 1962

I was a log truck driver for Redwood Construction Trucking based in Samoa Ca. and later in Manila Ca. I worked there for approx. ten years from 1962 to the early 70s. I have done a lot of different things in my life but my fondest memories are those years. We had a woman truck boss and she was the best boss I ever had. Her name was Audrey Griffith. I was 23 when I went to work there and almost all the drivers were quite a bit older than me. I will be 79 this Summer so most of them are gone. When I went to work there they had 20 trucks and when I left they had well over 300 trucks. Most of the new drivers wanted to join the union and when they did it ruined the job for me personally. If there is anyone out there who would like any info on this company I might be able to help them out. I noticed there have been some inquiries.

Michael Durant,   I plan on building model logging trucks and will need some help.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum, boy you must have a load of stories to tell hauling those logs out with some difficult drives along those logging tracks.

I'm very interested in my name sake "Hayes"  logging trucks, did any of them make it all the way down to CA??? 

Can't wait to hear back from you.

Rgds,

Foggy 2.

Welcome, I've spent a bit of time up that way. I remember getting to tour some of the lumber mills in the late 1970s, and have eaten at the Somoa cookhouse a few times. Wish I had been into photography back then as most of those mills have closed down.

I'm not a lot of help on the logging trucks end although I am currently building one. You may however enjoy some of the photos of real logging equipment I've posted from the logging conference which is held in alternate years in either Ukiah or Eureka, CA.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Michael. I'm a part time hauler. Have to pull our HG 6000 Vermeer brush grinder and lowboy with the Cat loader brush grapple. Looking forward to seeing your truck builds. I have a stalled T600 with Bill Elliott trailer and thunderbird # 6