Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started a new Garage

mchook

I started a new garage and this is what I've got done so far. The walls are made from sheet rock, I removed the paper from one side & scribed the lines for the blocks. The bathroom is about done, I made the toilet, sink from pieces of sheet rock. I put some stuff in just to see what it might look like but I don't think it's going to stay this way.

DSCN6242.JPG

DSCN6243.JPG

DSCN6244.JPG

DSCN6245.JPG

DSCN6246.JPG

DSCN6249.JPG

DSCN6250.JPG

DSCN6251.JPG

DSCN6252.JPG

Mark,

Interesting choice of material for the walls!  I haven't seen/heard anyone call drywall sheetrock in many years.  My dad and most of my uncles were carpenters and they called it sheetrock all their lives.  I think that most people nowadays would not even know what sheetrock is.

Over the years I have thought about using it for building a diorama but I did not think it would hold up for long with one side stripped of the paper.  The block walls look very authentic carved into the exposed side walls.  Are you planning on sealing them with something?

Carl Gowan

Thanks Carl, I too have heard the term "sheet rock" my whole life & I guess it just stuck. I was a little worried about trying this but it seems pretty strong. When I removed the paper I used a wet sponge to make it come off easier. I did the scribing with a knife while it was still damp & then didn't touch it for a full day to dry. I used an acrylic gray with water too wash it & that's it. I'm going to hit it with Testors dullcote after I get the walls glued together, right now they're just sitting together.

DSCN6253.JPG

I've always called it sheetrock in New Jersey. Was that originally a brand name like Scotch Tape?  

Great work, I have seen mention of the carved sheet rock method before but haven't tried it myself.  It looks great and I like the way you keyed the corners.

I've got a diorama much like this that I built some 20 years ago.  One thing that I did has bothered me ever since then.  I glued all the walls together.  The only way that I can get an eye level photo is to shoot through a door.  Most shots are from above.   I might suggest that you leave one wall removable to take realistic photos of your excellent work.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. Douglas thanks for the idea of leaving a wall loose for taking pictures. I never would have thought about it & would have been aggravated taking pictures. My old garage was glued together & it worked but this will be so much better for sure! That's what I like about showing you guys this stuff, a new set of eyes can help out alot!!!

Here's my old garage & I have no good pictures of it.

Captured 2005-9-12 00060.JPG

Captured 2006-2-22 00039.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...