Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do all clear coats yellow?

Do NOT use Testors High Gloss clear (enamel) on white.  I messed up a beautiful Peterbilt that I did in black and white and it yellowed the white instantly.  It's getting worse with time.  Other lacquer clears do better on white.

The simple answer is all clears, enamels and lacquers, turn yellow eventually. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to stop it.

The question really is which ones stay clear longer and how yellow they get. 

It's the UV rays in sunlight that turn the clear coat yellow, but they will turn yellow even if you don't keep the item in the sun.

I have had good luck with Rustoleum's Crystal Clear enamel (not the gloss clear, but the Crystal Clear).  

I would think that two-part finishes would also be very stable, but I have never used them so I don't know for sure.

61502088-2667-4722-b44f-aca4807b1f88_1000.jpg

I have tried several different clear coats thru the years. I have had no problems with yellowing in over 20 years. I have used Model Master Ultra Gloss Clearcoat  and my personal favorite is Tamiya Clear TS-13. The models displayed are always away from direct sunlight and that may be the reason for not yellowing.   

For what it's worth, back in the days when we used to paint real cars with lacquer, clear-coat yellowing was a significant problem. Clear shot over a silver base could look like light gold after a few years of UV exposure. 

I went to 2-component urethane clears on 1:1 work pretty much as soon as they hit the market, and apparently the addition of chemical "UV inhibitors" seemed to have solved the problem.

For what it's worth, back in the days when we used to paint real cars with lacquer, clear-coat yellowing was a significant problem. Clear shot over a silver base could look like light gold after a few years of UV exposure. 

If you've ever seen The Spirit of St. Louis in the National Air & Space museum, you might think the nose section is made of gold-anodized aluminum or gold-plated something. It's not. It's engine-turned aluminum that was coated with clear lacquer in 1927, or maybe sometime thereafter (at any rate, many decades ago).

All paints change with age and clear is no exception.  The real secret to minimizing yellowing is to think of is like a candy coat.  The less you put on, the lighter the color change.  A very thin coat of clear will not show as much yellow and a thick coat.