Model Cars Magazine Forum

Luxury in the future?

And no provision for steering or suspension movement either. ;)

Oh wait...we're overpaid industrial designers. We don't need to even be aware of greasy mechanical things that have to actually function.

Considering they were looking 100 years into the future here, it's probably intended to be autonomous.  Not a fan of the outside, but the inside looks quite nice!

Considering they were looking 100 years into the future here, it's probably intended to be autonomous.  Not a fan of the outside, but the inside looks quite nice!

To the best of my knowledge, even "autonomous" vehicles will still be governed by the known laws of physics.

Unless those known laws have been considerably expanded in 100 years and this thing levitates (and the "wheels" are just vestigial styling elements that have nothing to do with steering or suspending the vehicle) there's no room inside the front wheel fairings for them to turn for steering...though I suppose some kind of WAY overcomplicated monkey-motion linkage could be devised the allow the front wheels to steer AND bump / rebound as is generally understood to be necessary by today's primitive purveyors of vehicle dynamics. Those requisites haven't been dropped in the last 100 years of vehicle evolution. (The wheel pods on the Tasco move WITH the front wheels in steering AND suspension travel).

Of course, a lot of model cars get built that couldn't possibly work in reality either.

With how the those cut lines (round on the outside, square on the inside) in the front pontoons are positioned, I'll bet they're intended to steer with the front wheels, leaving the basic square portion in place while it turns.  Not sure how it's attached on the outside, probably like a a motorcycle fender.

With how the those cut lines (round on the outside, square on the inside) in the front pontoons are positioned, I'll bet they're intended to steer with the front wheels, leaving the basic square portion in place while it turns.  Not sure how it's attached on the outside, probably like a a motorcycle fender.

Yes Joe, I agree with your reasoning there, completely. 

The problem comes in when you have to deal also with up-and-down movement of the whole thing during suspension travel.

A Motorcycle front fender deals with a different set of issues, and it's mounting is very straightforward.

I know this is just a "concept" but any speed bump currently known to man would shred the leading edges of those fender pontoons too.

Very true, but that's likely where the 2116 Concept Car part comes into play, it just has to slowly roll around and look "good", not necessarily be driveable.

Yup, and what's a hoot is to look at "concept" cars of just 50 years back and see how little they actually have in common with what we're seeing on the roads now.

Concept cars usually get designed using the then-current aesthetic, and reality rarely evolves to match the 'advanced' vision of an earlier time.

Looks like some kinda wierd Table. Now if the Windshield and Roof were to lift up to reveal an Ice, Beer and Wine Bucket / Cooler, it might even be a useful Table - saying they flattened the Hood so the beverages wouldn't slide off.