Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ramchargers Duster

Ted_Flack_.thumb.jpg.aee6eed17a8ee158316

Here is a picture of the car running Super/Stock K. That's Ted Flack, the driver and owner, standing at the back of the car. Ted and I ran 2 of the race engine dynos at Chrysler Engineering in the 1970's doing NASCAR and NHRA race engine development. Later on we worked together, along with Howard Comstock, on the Dodge NASCAR race program from 2001 till we all retired. (See the Flack & Comstock name on the rear pillar). Ted and I each worked over 40 years each at Chrysler in the Dodge Motorsports group.

• Like 1

Can't really remember what the S/S engines were making off hand. In 1977 and early 1978 we spent a lot of time developing the engine for the 1978 Daytona race and our goal was 600 HP which we did make using the 355" LA engine. After finishing the NASCAR development we spent a lot of time doing an 8bbl version of the small block for NHRA. Ted's car switched to running in Gas, (E/Gas I think) using a 288" small block with dual quads (see pictures). We made around 500HP at 10,000 rpm.  After that we spent time developing the same engine for Bob Glidden to use in the Pro-Stock Plymouth Arrows.

.Ed-Dyno_7A-1977_(2).thumb.jpg.225b3e8399Ed-Dyno_7A-1977.thumb.jpg.53d720752a3c77

Yes, great stuff here.  In all of my internet travels I've never run across any really fist hand factory infos like this.  Ed, so where exactly were the motors built?  288 SBM, never heard of that one either, was it a de-stroked 340 block?

Thanks guys, also to Roger for this great build.

We worked at the Chrysler Technical Center  in Highland Park Michigan back then. In 1992 we moved to the new technical center in Auburn Hills Michigan. Back then the Race Engine Group consisted of 2 full time engine builders, 3 dyno operators and 3 or 4 engineers depending on what programs were being run. We did all race engine development for NASCAR, NHRA and the Mopar Direct Connection Program which included Hemi, RB, and LA engine development. We did a lot of development on different sizes of engines for different forms of racing. The 288" engine was a destroked 340" along with a 296" and a 305" LA engines. There were also 366", 396", and 405" Hemi engines for NASCAR. We did the W2 cylinder head program and the "R" series of LA race engine blocks which ended with the R6 in 2007. This is a picture of the Race Engine Group in 1978. I am 3rd from the left in the top row. Ken Heatlie, 2nd from left bottom row, was one of the Golden Commandos and built the engines for the drag cars.

RaceGroup1978_(500x403).thumb.jpg.988c63

What a great thread!

Roger, that was a good read, I've saved this one.  Seems you have a sound background for this super build.

Small blocks can be monsters, and it's good to read that SBM's get some love too.  I know these things can run very well on the street and embarrass the heck out of lots of bigger boys.  They can also be real loud.

Ed, great stuff you're posting, thanks so much for the insider view, lots of guys here like reading this stuff, guaranteed!  The W2's and R Blocks is getting into a region that should make Mopar guys hearts start to throb.  Just a shame the stuff was, and is so expensive, difficult to build too.  The material can whoop on lots of other brands without a doubt.

With your expertise and the time you were with Ma Mopar, you probably know the R5 P7 deal.  This is serious engine stuff, have they become adaptable for drag racing in the meantime?

• 2 months later...

This old Ted Flack Duster from 1974 is still allive and well. These 3 pics shows the same car. In the 1980´ties it ended up with Ed Longhany in Fayetteville NC. I did buy it from Longhany in 1989 and took it home to Sweden. Raced it betwen 1989 to 1994 and ran as best 10.62 in SS/KA. Sold it to Finland in 1995 and the last pic is quite new from 2016 and the car is now owned by a fellow in Sotkamo Finland. I wish I still had the car, it was really fun to race. / Jan Holm in Boden Sweden

10665178_745292358864644_6756207398115432473_n.jpg

10665337_745291868864693_7533559912289899635_n.jpg

13584897_925554610888070_1182903390116096733_o.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone interested in Mopars, check out either the Allpar.com website or Hamtramck-Historical.com....When I saw Ed Poplawski's name on this thread, I thought it looked familiar and recognized it from the Allpar site....He was among those who were right in the thick of it during the Mopar heyday of the 60's & 70's and has some fascinating stories to tell....Great stuff!!

This old Ted Flack Duster from 1974 is still allive and well. These 3 pics shows the same car. In the 1980´ties it ended up with Ed Longhany in Fayetteville NC. I did buy it from Longhany in 1989 and took it home to Sweden. Raced it betwen 1989 to 1994 and ran as best 10.62 in SS/KA. Sold it to Finland in 1995 and the last pic is quite new from 2016 and the car is now owned by a fellow in Sotkamo Finland. I wish I still had the car, it was really fun to race. / Jan Holm in Boden Sweden

Yes, a friend is driving it nowadays here in Finland and it's still in nice condition even if it has an old paint job and everything. Those old pics are cool, I'll have to show them to him...

And the model is really nicely done, too, as your builds always are! Great work!

• 6 years later...