Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Monza IMSA/Trans-Am Update 7/28

afx

M&S Hobbies is releasing a resin curbside kit of this car, and from what I have seen it looks like a nice kit.  However I wanted to try my hand at building this car with full detail.  I personally feel the MPC kit of the Monza is the most accurate.  AMT and Revell also offer their own versions. MPC dropped the ball however with the racing body panels, AMT’s version more accurately represent the 1:1.  So starting with the MPC body I grafted on the AMT panels.  Still lots of shaping and cleanup work to do along with adding the wrap-around rear spoiler but not a bad start.

DSCN3644Monza-DeKon1006 Keyser 1976-06 LeMans-chassis-01DSCN3646DSCN3648DSCN3651

Edited by afx

Thank you gentleman for the comments.  Fitting the AMT panels was no picnic but that may have been the easy part.  The cars ran a full tubular chassis so lots of scratch building will be required.

Monza-AM2 Build 1977-05-22-chassis-painted 02

Edited by afx

Pleasantly surprised with how well the GTO chassis fits so far.  Only had to cut down the width of the belly pan and reduce the roll cage height about 3mm.

DSCN3654DSCN3657

DSCN3652

Wow man!

I like to slice and dice too but not even as close to clean as you.

So amazed at your perfect cut lines/work etc...

This is a killer project!