Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Monza IMSA/Trans-Am Update 7/28

afx

Thanks Joe. 

Shawn these car were referred to as silhouette cars. Only a few bodies panels around the greenhouse needed to be stocked.

Here is the hatch area infilled.

DSCN3675

Edited by afx

Thanks Bob & Ken. 

I liked the Sterling mags I've shown with the build so far but just didn't care for the tires.  Finally came up with a combination I like better.

DSCN3686DSCN3689

Edited by afx

Thanks guys for the continued interest.  The height of the tires was pointed out by another member as well Shay and I do agree the tires are not quite as tall as I would like.  The car ran 15" wheels all around with 12" wide tires in front and 17" wide at the rear.  Finding a scale 15" x 17" tire that doesn't have a massive side wall has been difficult. The 1:1 tires were pretty low profile so I don't think my current tires are far off.  If I can come up with something better I'll change them out.

Dimensions
Weight 1,090 kilo / 2,403 lbs
Length / Width / Height 4,554 mm (179.3 in) / 1,867 mm (73.5 in) / 1,217 mm (47.9 in)
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r) 2,464 mm (97 in) / 1,473 mm (58 in) / 1,435 mm (56.5 in)
Fuel tank 120 Litre (31.7 Gallon US / 26.4 Gallon Imperial)
Wheels (fr/r) 12 x 15 / 17 x 15
Tyres (fr/r) 24.5/11 - 15 / 25.0/13.0 - 15

Monza-DeKon1008_AlHolbert_1976-05-31_LimDeKon1005_AllanMoffat_1975-12-28_Baypark

Edited by afx

i hope this becomes another offering from HRM :)

Due to challenges of casting my body and with the M&S Hobbies kit already in the works we agreed that this wouldn't be the best trans-kit choice.  However I am happy to help anyone that wants to build there own version.

JC, I was wondering if the AMT Indy Car tires from the kits they did in the early 90's would be wide enough for this? I don't have easy access to one of those kits without digging a bunch of others out first or I would take some measurements for you. Just a thought.

JC, I was wondering if the AMT Indy Car tires from the kits they did in the early 90's would be wide enough for this? I don't have easy access to one of those kits without digging a bunch of others out first or I would take some measurements for you. Just a thought.

The very well could be wide enough Steven but I suspect the side walls would be too tall.  I have some of these kits and will check it out.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The tires I am currently using have a recess on the inside.  I made an insert out of business card stock and fit it into the recess.  This increased the outside diameter of the tire by about 0.5mm (0.5 scale inches).  Doesn't sound like much but I think it improved the look.  I may try a wrap of masking tape around the wheels as well.