Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Monza IMSA/Trans-Am Update 7/28

afx

Hey JC, great minds think alike. I am currently finishing up the cage/interior on my IMSA Monza build. I started with the Monza SS kit for my build.

Will be watching with interest on your build.

Please start a thread on your build Ken or have you already and I missed it?

Very nice Ken.  Look like you are going for the latter Phase 5 version.  My plan is for a Phase 3 car.

Racing Monza Body Style Phases

Phase 1

1974 Season - prototype/concept body was similar to the 1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage special edition. Mild Coke bottle shaped body flares with wrap-around rear spoiler. Non-scooped front air dam. Half-length hood bulge to clear downdraft carbs or fuel injection.

Phase 2

1975 Season and early 1976 - Wider body flares with scooped door extensions.

Phase 3

1976 Season - Most of '76 IMSA season, and 1980-on for SCCA Trans-Am. Wider body flares. Slightly taller wrap-around rear spoiler. Non-scooped front air dam with rubber skirting. Scooped door extensions. Full-length hood bulge.

Phase 4

1977 Season: Widest available body flares. Wrap-around rear spoiler with new large banana style rear wing. Scooped front air dam. Several different style door extensions seen; scooped, non-scooped, NACA duct or slotted. Brad Frisselle and Tom Frank utilized flat ramp style front air dam. Hood bulge was full-length about 2" high or more.

Phase 5

No wrap-around rear spoiler, only banana style rear wing in various forms. Larger front cow catcher air dam, several variations. Different styled door extensions. Hood bulge was 3" high or more .

Oh! That GTO! LOL! I was thinking Pontiac! 

International Motor Sports Association (IMSA)

logo_IMSA-sqr-135px.jpg

Official IMSA logo

logo_IMSA-O-70.jpg

GTO

logo_IMSA-U-70px.jpg

GTU

IMSA GT

Groups

The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) is an American road racing organization and sanctioning body based in Braselton, Georgia. It was started by John Bishop, a formerly of SCCA, and his wife Peggy in 1969 with help from Bill France, Sr. of NASCAR.  Camel cigarettes was the title sponsor for the IMSA racing series known as, "Camel GT Challenge Series," from about 1975 -1984.

Glossary of Abbreviations

AAGT

All American Grand Touring - IMSA class

ASSC

Australian Sports Sedan Championship

CAT.I

Category 1, SCCA Trans-Am class

CAT.II

Category 2, SCCA Trans-Am class

c/n

Chassis number, or chassis name

GT-1

Grand Touring 1 - SCCA Club Racing

GTO

Grand Touring Over 2.5 Liters - IMSA class

GTU

Grand Touring Under 2.5 Liters - IMSA class

IMSA

International Motor Sports Association

HSR

Historic Sportscar Racing

SCCA

Sports Car Club of America

TA

Trans-Am, SCCA pro series

Thanks Art.  Slow steady progress fitting and modifying the Revell IMSA chassis.  The kit chassis properly depicts the slight engine offset to the right.

DSCN3659DSCN3660

Edited by afx

Thanks Shay.  I have been doing some much cutting and grinding on my last few builds my workbench is a mess!  Need to get it cleaned up before I can pull out the MkII again.

I modified the IMSA kit transmission/drive shaft tunnel, reducing it's size and shifting it to the right.  Not much left of the Monza kit interior.

DSCN3663

JC, you ought to send the body off to HRM for casting and then start on the Mustang for Kemp to go along with this. I don't know about you or even if it is all that accurate, but I like the look of the Gunze kit of Kemp's car.

Thanks Shawn.  Regarding the engine offset:

Like in the Greenwood Corvettes, the Monza's engine is mounted far back in the chassis and slightly to the

right of center for nearly even front-to-rear and side-to-side weight distribution.

JC, you ought to send the body off to HRM for casting and then start on the Mustang for Kemp to go along with this. I don't know about you or even if it is all that accurate, but I like the look of the Gunze kit of Kemp's car.

I built the Gunze kit several years ago more or less out of the box.  The kit was designed as a battery operated toy so the chassis is useless.  However the body looks accurate to my eye Steven.  I have seen it kit-bashed with the IMSA chassis and it will work.  The issue for me is I haven't found the correct BBS wheels.

DSCN1374.JPGImage result for charlie kemp cobra iiImage result for charlie kemp cobra ii

Here are some other build examples:

Edited by afx