Model Cars Magazine Forum

"New" Revell 48 Ford

mike 51

Just picked one up....stock or police only.  Nicely printed white walls seem new,otherwise the same overall kit as the woodie and convertible,  the roof crown seems a little flat to me but not serious enuff to complain about.

A street rod version would be more appealing to me than the police car tho... 

That is good news. One of our club members had a glue-bombed IMC '48 Ford that he wanted to restore. I suggested that he leave it alone, and pick up one of the new kits, as I am quite sure that the New Revell tool is leaps and bounds better than that old IMC tool.

I just snapped mine up last night on my way home from work from my LHS. Mike you are correct the front part of the roof is a bit too flat but it is fixable easily enough we're model builders, right but I wish that Revell would have got it right. By the way is there a way for me to share photos from my iPhone? I have some photos of the kit.

To my knowledge no one has posted any photos yet and yes it initially looks like it can be built stock but you would have to get into the kit and see. I only took a quick look when I got the kit last night. It looks like it is just stock components in the kit.

Edited by carnut

Looks great.  I think half of us will be hacking these up to see just how big a tire we can stuff under the fenders, and how big a mill we can fit up front.  I think  "Fat Jack"  may have started something.  I have already taken a chopped coupe and decided it looked more like a drag car than a custom.  Now, I might want to take a full height one and do the same thing to it.  

As I am writing this post, I looked up a vid of Fat Jack's car running, and it was dated 1985!  That's over thirty years ago!   It might be fun to imagine what that car would look like if it was built today.  Would it be matte black?  Would a bunch of the body parts be carbon fiber?  Would it be on slicks, like a pro mod, or would it be wearing really fat radials?  Blown, Nitrous injected or...  Turbos?  Who will be the first to step up and build a killer drag car?

This car would make a great factory stock model, moonshine runner, mild '60s custom, street rod, drag car, or almost any other type of build.  I just did a quick search, and I didn't find any evidence of these being used in NASCAR.  They started in late 1948, but I'm guessing that the '49s were already out and the '48s weren't really pushed by the factory?  I see a bunch of 1949 Fords, but didn't see a '46-48.  I would bet that a bunch were run at the local level, though.  

I figured some guys had to be running the early Fords in the first year or so of NASCAR.   I'll start looking up some of those names and see if I can find some good reference pics.  Thanks for the link!

Yes it has separate vent windows..the box art police car is missing quite a few parts for some reason.  

In most cases the manufacturers ask whoever is building the box art model to leave the window glass out because it creates reflections during photography, and a retouch artist puts them in later. In this case the airbrush artist evidently wasn't aware of vent windows being on the real car.

Edited by horsepower

Just happy to see the kit. Stock, or PO. We builders will make it what we want! Do a motor swap, update the rolling stock & suspension. Maybe even top it with the PoPo stuff? Anything is possible.

I tell ya, between this kit, the '30 Ford Coupe, as well as the '65 Grand Prix, '72 Ford Sport Custom and the '73 Mustang coming from Round 2, and the fact that I just made a pretty big purchase for my 1:1, I'm gonna need an extra paycheck this month. 

In most cases the manufacturers ask whoever is building the box art model to leave the window glass out because it creates reflections during photography, and a retouch artist puts them in later. In this case the airbrush artist evidently wasn't aware of vent windows being on the real car.

If you look close there is a ton of photoshop going on in the Police picture above. The glass and windshield frame for sure, the license plate, the stainless side trim pieces on body & fenders and all of the Police parts (siren, roof flashers and spot light.) The 1/4 glass being drawn in is also screwing with the shape of the window opening big time. 

B)

If you look close there is a ton of photoshop going on in the Police picture above. The glass and windshield frame for sure, the license plate, the stainless side trim pieces on body & fenders and all of the Police parts (siren, roof flashers and spot light.) The 1/4 glass being drawn in is also screwing with the shape of the window opening big time. 

B)

I think that's why people are asking for pics of what's in the box, not just the photo from Revell that was released well before the final tooling was even done, lol.

I think that's why people are asking for pics of what's in the box, not just the photo from Revell that was released well before the final tooling was even done, lol.

What I was getting at (but failed to, haha) was that the actual model will most likely look better than the picture that's been photoshopped. 

B)