Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maynard Rupp Chevoom 7-29-16 Finished and Final Photos

Marlowe

As I've mentioned before, 1:18 diecast is my favorite scale.  I've had this project in my mind for a few years and I decided to take the plunge to build it.  I hope you enjoy the build and thanks for looking!  

Chevoom1.jpg
GratiotFC.jpg
scan0003.jpg
chevoom.jpg
Untitled-1%20copy.jpg
Side%20Chassis2.jpg

Edited by Marlowe
Update

I have to create a collar to attach the front suspension.  I purchased the ACME Fuel Altered kit that will supply the front axle.  The width is perfect and fits the Chevelle without any alterations.  Wahoo!!!

The front axle and suspension has been mounted for a text fit.  The wheelbase is PERFECT!  Wahoo AGAIN!!!

The Chevoom rear axle has spring towers that are capped to the top of the chassis in the rear.  So I fabricated spring towers using brass tubing. 

When building the Chevoom, Maynard Rupp built a sub-frame which would cradle the entire drivetrain of the engine, transmission, and rear end.  It is suspended on pivot points to the main frame. 

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/marlowemar/Chevy%20Chevelle%20Chevoom/DSC00109g.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo DSC00109g.jpg

The Chevoom has a 2-speed automatic Torqueflyte transmission.  With the transmissions that I have available, with my buddy Gene Herman's advice, I elected to use a tranny from a Pontiac.  Gene suggested I cut the shaft tube and then fashion a plate to the engine.  Obviously, it isn't done but it's a start.

The engine, tranny, and rear end is test fit to the sub-frame. 

I've fabricated a roughed out the dashboard and floorboard.  The dash was pretty straightforward and simple but the floorboard required three rebuilds.  Initially, I failed to factor in enough angle of the ladder chassis and the first two iterations just didn't look right.  Much better now.  I'll have to do the footwell next and begin on the doghouse too.  

DSC00109q.jpg

DSC00109p.jpg

Before and After

DSC00109n.jpg

DSC00109na.jpgAhhhh, at this point, I'm reminded of Robert Burns' "...the best laid schemes of mice and men."  Also, Murphy's Law kicked in too.  

Originally, to attached the rear end housing to the sub-frame I planned on creating 1:18 scale U-bolts.  From MicroMark, I ordered 00-90 rod stock along with other hardware including a threading die.  Folks, make no mistake, I am NOT not a machinist.  I'm just a hacker using simple hand tools to carry out these builds.  I have no machine shop training and I certainly have no clue on how to use CNC machines, drill presses, dies, etc. Now that the appropriate disclaimers (and excuses) are in place, I couldn't get the die to thread the bar stock to form my U-bolts! Arrggh! Frustrated, I gave up on the U-Bolt idea and decided on an entirely different approach.  

Instead of traditional U-bolts, I'd create brackets to secure the rear end housing to the subframe.  Simple, right?  After 5 sets, (that's right, count 'em) FIVE SETS and hours of time creating brackets that fit over the housing AND the subframe, I finally got a working, and for me satisfactory solution!  OH, BTW!  Attaching 00-90 bolts to 00-90 washers and nuts really requires a 1:18 scale person to pull it off!  A 1:1 person working with such small pieces is more than a notion!  Thank goodness I have tweezers and now it's all buttoned up.  As far as I'm concerned, all I need to do is trim up the brackets, and get the whole frame ready for black paint!  However, before I do that, I have to fabricate front radius rods.  Should be fun! 

DSC00109r.jpg

DSC00109s.jpg

DSC00109t.jpg

DSC00109u.jpg

Edited by Marlowe

Why the paper clip in the first photo?  'Cuz I needed tie rods for the front suspension!  I didn't have any in my parts bin and I didn't want to spend the money to buy another model just for those parts so I made scratch built them. 

Credit for this idea goes to my inspirational diecast modification guru, Chris Moroni.  In his modification builds, Chris routinely creatively sources parts out of regular ordinary stuff found around the house. I give him credit for teaching me to do the same.  So the paper clips, which is something right out of the "Chris Moroni Book of Diecast Modifications" came in really handy.  Thanks, Chris for the inspiration!

DSC00109ua.jpg

DSC00109v.jpg

I needed to get going on building the rest of the interior.  However, I couldn't do that until I finalized the engine, transmission, and rear end location.  I fabricated engine mounts and now have installed the drivetrain in the sub-frame.  That enabled me to understand the location for the engine cover, or "Dog House."

I've fabricated the "dog house" out of plastic.  So that it will stay secure in its location, I've inserted mini magnets in the floor and the dog house.  You can see them in the photos and the concept works great.  Still to come is a full bulkhead that fully separates the engine compartment from the interior that still needs to be made. 

DSC00109w.jpg

DSC00109x.jpgOn the original 1:1 Chevoom, Maynard Rupp built a footwell in the front interior wall where he located the throttle and brake pedal.  I've started building it here.

DSC00109y1a.jpg

DSC00109y2.jpg DSC00109z.jpg

DSC00110a.jpg

You can see the tie rods from this angle. 

DSC00110b.jpg

DSC00110c.jpg

Thanks for looking, folks!

Edited by Marlowe

The most difficult part of the headers has been completed and all that is required now are brackets and some fine tuning.  I've also finished the interior bulkhead too.  Now I'm putting down the model and going cruising with the big boss to have some fun! 

Thanks for looking, folks!

DSC00110d.jpg

DSC00110e.jpg

DSC00110f.jpg

DSC00110g.jpg

DSC00110h.jpg

Edited by Marlowe

Those headers are a thing of beauty. Especially that you got them all to lay down against the frame. I've done solder zoomies and they were a pain.

Is that black goop on the pillars JB Weld? I assume it's not too hard to sand / shape?

Correct!  I used JB Weld to build the chassis.  It'll all be filed, sanded, and painted black.

Failure! Failure! Failure!

Photos 1 and 2: 
I covered the interior with aluminum sheathing and it looked horrible. Instead of the aluminum tin work that I was going for, it looked more like a 6 year old did Christmas gift wrapping. Horrible! This would not do so I stripped of the aluminum, sanded out the rough spots, and began again but this time using my old standard, steel sheathing.

Photos 3 and 4: 
Ahhhhh..... much better now.

"I love it when a plan comes together."  

95% of the fabrication has been completed and I'm getting real close to final preparation for painting, final assembly, and decals. Barring any unforeseen obstacles, I estimate that the model will be finished in about one week!  Next post should be "Chevoom - Final."  :D

OK, OK, OK!  I know!  The last installment I said the next would be my final and the model would be finished.  I estimated it would be done in a week.  However, even though I knew that the painting and final assembly would not go as planned (These modifications are always full of unanticipated surprises) I really thought the final line was only a week away.  Hanging the doors proved to be a time consuming issue and I had to scrap my firewall and fabricate an entire new one because I didn't factor in the space required for door hinges.  It's also been blistering hot so my paint time has been limited too.  At any rate, as you can see, the finish line is close!  I will declare that the NEXT installment will be the final one!  (I think)