Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from MegaHobby

Hi there, I'm Alan Bass, owner of MegaHobby.com. Many of you are familiar with Brett Barrow, our customer service rep and model expert, who is active on the forums and also answers our phones in the office. I wanted to also jump in and introduce myself to everyone and let you know that I'm always here to answer any questions as well and share some tips or anything from our experience in the hobby industry.

For some background, I am third generation in the hobby industry -- my grandparents started a hobby distributor in the 1950s, then with my father started Stevens International in 1976, the largest USA importers of specialty hobby items. I joined the industry after graduating college and am thrilled to be a part of it on all levels. My family has experience distributing and importing, along with our retail hobby shop AAA Hobbies that we've had for nearly 40 years, and now have many years of experience with online retail with MegaHobby.com.

Great to meet all of you -- be sure to keep in touch!

Hello Alan, great that you're here on the forum.  Like lots of guys here, I'm one of your customers too.  You have a great online shop. 

Ahem, so what about that online discount for forum members?  OOps did I say something?  :D

Greetings, Michael

I have been in the hobby business in many different forms since 1980.  It started working on my days off in a buddy's hobby shop to today doing freelance work for the manufactures.

During the late 1980's I was part owner of DNL Hobbies which was the manufacturing arm of Deb's Model Emporium hobby shop in Charlotte NC. We did a lot of business with Steven's Intl. We even went to Steven's twice for big close out sales buying LOTS of OOP imported kits and accessories.   IIRC Steven's carried our DNL line at one time. 

Good to have you here. 

Alan,  Nice of you to come on the forum. AAA Hobbies is my go-to hobby store. I happily drive down from Trenton because you literally have everything. While I would like to see a discount for forum members just like everyone else here, I also get that it would hard to reconcile that with your wholesale customers. That would be undercutting retailers that you supply, who are also loyal customers of Stevens. In any case it's wonderful to have resources like AAA. 

Sorry guys, but I just can't pass on this!  I have been told that car modelers are really cheap, but it is in very poor taste to ask for a discount on the guy's welcoming page.  You wouldn't do it in person when shaking hands, why here?  I think an apology is due.  At any rate Alan, I am embarrassed by this even if you aren't. :angry:

Sorry guys, but I just can't pass on this!  I have been told that car modelers are really cheap, but it is in very poor taste to ask for a discount on the guy's welcoming page.  You wouldn't do it in person when shaking hands, why here?  I think an apology is due.  At any rate Alan, I am embarrassed by this even if you aren't. :angry:

huh?

A little more humor instead of embarrassment might serve you well.

Sorry Alan for posting my outrageous request.

Welcome aboard, Alan....Glad to have you.....I've shopped Megahobby quite a few times, and everything I've ever purchased has been well received.....Love your selection.....From trucks to space ships.....Thank you for running a top notch company.....

yeah, huh. sheesh ...

I have been in the hobby business in many different forms since 1980.  It started working on my days off in a buddy's hobby shop to today doing freelance work for the manufactures.

During the late 1980's I was part owner of DNL Hobbies which was the manufacturing arm of Deb's Model Emporium hobby shop in Charlotte NC. We did a lot of business with Steven's Intl. We even went to Steven's twice for big close out sales buying LOTS of OOP imported kits and accessories.   IIRC Steven's carried our DNL line at one time. 

Good to have you here. 

Although that was before my time, the name absolutely rings a bell (from hearing customer names thrown around at the dinner table when I was a kid!). Glad to hear you did business with my father and grandfather, I know they were very grateful for it!

Alan,  Nice of you to come on the forum. AAA Hobbies is my go-to hobby store. I happily drive down from Trenton because you literally have everything. While I would like to see a discount for forum members just like everyone else here, I also get that it would hard to reconcile that with your wholesale customers. That would be undercutting retailers that you supply, who are also loyal customers of Stevens. In any case it's wonderful to have resources like AAA. 

Thanks for the kind words about AAA! We're very proud of it, it's been a constant sight on the White Horse Pike for decades (the big, ugly white building!). And I also appreciate your understanding of our need to keep our online prices reasonable so as not to interfere with local hobby shops -- which we always support first and foremost. Though we do have coupon codes for a few other forums we support, so I've created a coupon code MODELCARSMAG for $5.00 off an order of $50.00 or more -- feel free to use it next time you place an order!

Not to worry, a consumer asking for a discount is nothing offensive or embarrassing -- I ask for discounts when I shop too! Car modelers aren't "cheap", they're just like every other sect of consumer, looking to save as much money as possible. No grudges be held here ^_^

I'm not cheap but do you do free postage to Australia......:D...  just asking.

Steven, I hear that!

Last time I ordered from US, the merchandise was $80, the shipping was $55.  Then it gets here and I can pick it up at Customs after paying another 19%, from the total.  Meaning also from the postal charges!  Not good.

Strange though, I was charged $55, but the stamp on the box read $34.  Hmm, makes one wonder.  Not from MegaHobby though.

MegaHobby delivered in 7 days, a new record!

MegaHobby has a great website.