Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look - Revell's new '30 Model A Chopped Five Window Coupe kit...

tim boyd

Well it is FINALLY here!  

Click this link to see my 45-photo review of the kit contents including an emphasis on what's new (hint - a  lot!) vs. the '29 A Roadster kit introduced last year.  

Make sure to use the "Roll" feature to see the photos and captions together - you really need to read the captions to get the whole story.  

Thanks for looking....I can wait to see your under construction photos posted here at the MCM forum in the near future.....TIM DSC 0440 

DSC 0444

DSC 0425

Edited by tim boyd

Okay Tim, I have had little to no interest in this kit. But, I always enjoy your reviews. Now, seeing what you've shown us, this kit is moving to my must have list. I'm impressed. Like you, I was not interested in another kit with another small block Chevy engine. Until, again I saw your review. I really like looks of SBC in this kit for some reason.

Like I say, this like Revell's A roadster is now a must have kit for me. Thanks for the great review Tim. And thanks to Revell for offering us another interesting kit.

Regardless if you're a fan of the Chevy small block or not, it's important to note that the blower option in this kit is one of just a couple ever kitted that features a "streetable" set up that includes a water pump and alternator. Almost every blown small block over the years has been a competition only setup. The only one for a long time was Monograms late 70's Z28. The only other one since then that comes to mind is the Stacy David Rat Roaster '32 roadster.

So for anyone wanting a street going blown Chevy small block, this is a significant inclusion.

B)

Regardless if you're a fan of the Chevy small block or not, it's important to note that the blower option in this kit is one of just a couple ever kitted that features a "streetable" set up that includes a water pump and alternator. Almost every blown small block over the years has been a competition only setup. The only one for a long time was Monograms late 70's Z28. The only other one since then that comes to mind is the Stacy David Rat Roaster '32 roadster.

So for anyone wanting a street going blown Chevy small block, this is a significant inclusion.

B)

Dennis is exactly right in pointing out the importance of, and the rarity of, properly configured blown SBC engines for street use.  

Historically, some of the earliest kits with a street-configured blown SBC were the four variants of the MPC "Switchers" kits first released in 1972, and their derivatives/reissues over the ensuing years.  

Much more recently, the Revell '62 Corvette Gasser also has a blown SBC with a water pump, Delcotron, and associated fan belt/pulley configuration.  Here's a picture...

DSC 0277

In fact, when you compare this engine (particularly the blower assembly)  to the blown SBC in the '30 A kit, you'll see some design similarities (though there are major differences too) .

If you'd like to see more on the Rat Roaster engine that Dennis mentioned, as well as the Corvette Gasser engine, check out my online "grudge match comparo" presentation at this link...here's a view of the associated components from both kits.... 

DSC 0249

.....thanks for looking.  TIM 

PS...oh by the way, if I was doing that comparo today, the blown SBC in the new '30A Coupe kit would have been the hands down winner....just in case you wondered(!)   TB  

Edited by tim boyd

Now. The question is ......................... do I clear the bench and get to work or continue with the bobber? :lol:

Is anyone going to use the skeleton door panels and NOT going to add a rolled down window pane? I'm looking forward to that.

Lots of plans for these kits. The first will be simple, just an engine swap and drop the front a bit.

Thanks very much for the overview Tim.

Duh!

:rolleyes:

Yeah. :D So the next question is, do we all want to do individual threads and put the finished builds in a group thread like we did with the roadster, OR, start a Community Build Project? I'm happy to start one, but ONLY if there is significant interest in doing so.

... the next question is, do we all want to do individual threads and put the finished builds in a group thread like we did with the roadster, OR, start a Community Build Project? ...

Since everybody and his dog is obviously going to build this thing, I think I'll pull out the OLD Monogram-based model that I started 3 years ago, just for a little perspective.  :D

DSCN0278_zps5be05803.jpg

Thanks Tim on a great in-depth review, like just about everyone else I appreciate your reviews and such. Also like everyone else I have project(s) planned for this. Question: how accurate is the existing Revell '30 sedan specifically the fenders, will they fit the new coupe body with no problems? My plan is for a late 50's-early 60's version with a set of fenders if possible. I guess that I will know in a few weeks when I get one here in my area.

Thanks

Since everybody and his dog is obviously going to build this thing, I think I'll pull out the OLD Monogram-based model that I started 3 years ago, just for a little perspective.  :D

DSCN0278_zps5be05803.jpg

I have that kit myself. I think i'll add the belt line, chop it about like yours, and see what I can come up with.:D Good lookin start there Bill.

Yeah. :D So the next question is, do we all want to do individual threads and put the finished builds in a group thread like we did with the roadster, OR, start a Community Build Project? I'm happy to start one, but ONLY if there is significant interest in doing so.

I'm down for getting in on a community thread and I would do my own in the Workbench section for those that never venture down the category menu. 

Thanks Tim on a great in-depth review, like just about everyone else I appreciate your reviews and such. Also like everyone else I have project(s) planned for this. Question: how accurate is the existing Revell '30 sedan specifically the fenders, will they fit the new coupe body with no problems? My plan is for a late 50's-early 60's version with a set of fenders if possible. I guess that I will know in a few weeks when I get one here in my area.

Thanks

No previously released model A fenders will fit this kit, or the 29 roadster. The frame is lengthened slightly versus stock ahead of the cowl. I'm working on a master for a set of fenders for these kits, just waiting to get this 30 coupe in my hands so I can be sure they fit.

No previously released model A fenders will fit this kit, or the 29 roadster. The frame is lengthened slightly versus stock ahead of the cowl. I'm working on a master for a set of fenders for these kits, just waiting to get this 30 coupe in my hands so I can be sure they fit.

The '28-'29 cars have a different fender design than the '30-'31 cars.

'28-'29 fenders      AnthonyLeonard2.jpg

'30-'31 fenders      1930%20Ford%20Paine.JPG

The REASON the skinny-rail frames in these two kits is "lengthened slightly" is because it's built to the wheelbase of the '32 Ford...which is the fatter-rail frame in the kits.

The BODY SHELL of the recent Revell '29 roadster fits the old AMT '29 fenders and frame fine, and also fits the fenders and frame in the old Revell '29 kits...EXCEPT: The recent '29 roadster body shell has higher rear fender cutouts than stock. That's where the problem is.

There's every reason to believe this new chopped '30 BODY SHELL will also fit the old Revell '31 Ford fenders and frame, which are well scaled and mostly correct, except that the new '30 coupe appears to also have the rear fender cutouts raised like the recent roadster kit.

Image result for revell '30 sedan    Image result for revell '30 sedan

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have that kit myself. I think i'll add the belt line, chop it about like yours, and see what I can come up with.:D Good lookin start there Bill.

Thanks. 

Part of my point is how happy everyone should be that the new-tool Revell kit has very nicely engraved body details, and it appears that the separately-molded top section fits very well indeed.   :D