Model Cars Magazine Forum

MODEL KING 53/54 CHEVY GASSER QUESTION....

....just wondered if the Revel Model King BAD NOOZE 53/54 Chevy gasser issued in 2006,,,,,then reissued again in 2013 have any differences in kit mold quality, chrome, basically anything........I ask because I may buy the lastest one, but seem to recall checking out a 2006 issue a few years ago and not thinking the overall quality of the kit was very nice, being quite rough generally...... any thoughts here from our members would be welcomed....thanks, the Ace...:)

Same old crappy kit,...and the older it gets the worse it gets. But, its the only choice for a 53/54 post car. I've built quite a few as body only for the slot car guys. It has no stock headlight bezels, or tailight bezels. The body side mouldings and stone guards are very faint. The rear window on most of the ones I built barely fir the rear opening. The glass is molded too small, and there is barley any thing to glue the window to. In fact one of the kits i had, the window would fall through the opening completely. Luckily I had an extra parts kit lying around. And I was building all these as beaters. Oh, and not only are there no headlight bezels, theres no reflectors behind the lenses. You can see the front tires through them. I used baremetal behind them. Its a workable kit, I guess, as a custom/gasser. It would take a lot of work to make it showroom stock. 

Same old crappy kit,...and the older it gets the worse it gets. But, its the only choice for a 53/54 post car. I've built quite a few as body only for the slot car guys. It has no stock headlight bezels, or tailight bezels. The body side mouldings and stone guards are very faint. The rear window on most of the ones I built barely fir the rear opening. The glass is molded too small, and there is barley any thing to glue the window to. In fact one of the kits i had, the window would fall through the opening completely. Luckily I had an extra parts kit lying around. And I was building all these as beaters. Oh, and not only are there no headlight bezels, theres no reflectors behind the lenses. You can see the front tires through them. I used baremetal behind them. Its a workable kit, I guess, as a custom/gasser. It would take a lot of work to make it showroom stock. 

well, Joe, you just saved me 30 bucks...lol.....:lol:...:D....had a feeling this would be the verdict.....thanks for the bad news on BAD NOOZE.....the Ace......:P

Still rough as a cob, though the Model King issue is molded in white which was a first for the sedan.  Building one of the Revell '53-'54 Chevies, and one or more of the '55-'57 opening-everything Chevies, is a sort of rite of passage that everyone should attempt if they haven't done so yet.  If you've been there and done that already, you are officially excused...

Still rough as a cob, though the Model King issue is molded in white which was a first for the sedan.  Building one of the Revell '53-'54 Chevies, and one or more of the '55-'57 opening-everything Chevies, is a sort of rite of passage that everyone should attempt if they haven't done so yet.  If you've been there and done that already, you are officially excused...

LOL, true,..Id love to see a new version of a 53/54 post car. Im a really a big fan of the post cars of most ay make or model, heck, Id be happy with a 4 door or a wagon version too. 

Building one of the Revell '53-'54 Chevies, and one or more of the '55-'57 opening-everything Chevies, is a sort of rite of passage that everyone should attempt if they haven't done so yet.  If you've been there and done that already, you are officially excused...

Agreed, agreed, Mark!!!!  TIM 

I have never built the 53-54 Chevies from Revell, but do have one and  parts in neon orange

I Have built a few of the 55-57's though

And had a 56 Nomad started from 2 Rev kits the 56 Sedan & 57 Nomad

and AMT's 55 Nomad

I have 2 unbuilt 55's a 57 and an original issue Nomad

1 55 and the 57 Coupe are in the three car kit with a 53-54

and another is a 70's re-issue bought for $5.oo MANY years ago

I always liked those Old tool Revell Tri-5 Chevy kits

Sad that I am losing them now