Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aunt Ruth's Duster

Smitty

Here's a car that wouldn't have gotten a second glance back when they were roaming the streets of my town. My Aunt Ruth drove one of these many years ago and I thought it would be fun to have one of them in my collection. It's based on the AMT Duster 340 kit.The engine is from the Lindberg '64 Dodge. The grill is a resin piece from Harts Parts. The bench seat and windshield wipers are scratch-built and the paint is Tamiya sprayed from a can and polished.I swapped the dash for the one from the MPC '75 Dart kit- no 'Rallye' gauge option for this one! The dog dish hubcaps are from the MPC Sheriff Roscoe police car. One other thing I did to this model was sand off the roof drip molding so I could re-shape the upper contour of the side quarter window a little. On the AMT kit it looks a little 'off' to me. (otherwise it's a terrific kit in my opinion). I replaced the drip molding with styrene strip.

As mundane as this car is, I wouldn't mind having the real thing in my garage!

golddustercrop1.jpg

golddustercrop2.jpg

golddustercrop2a.jpg

golddustercrop3.jpg

My Uncle Dan bought a new 1970 Duster in gold when they first came out.  He had to wait months to get the car.  His was a bare bones slant six with a 3 on the tree.   He thought the Duster decals were too flashy so he peeled them off. 

Great work on bringing that one to life!

Edited by Tom Geiger