Model Cars Magazine Forum

Compliments on posted models

There are some truly world-class models posted on this forum, some really good stuff, a lot of average work, and not really much poor work at all. Almost everything posted has at least something on it that is honestly worthy of praise, like a beautifully weathered rat rod that has unfortunately horrible proportions, for instance.

I think looking critically at the work shown and finding the things that are done WELL and praising those is more constructive than saying a blanket "awesome build" for every orange-peeled poorly-fitting model with garden-hose plug wires.

This approach avoids the endless and tiring "awesome" remarks and also avoids being needlessly harsh to less skilled builders. 

And if you can phrase a way to improve a model without making it seem like an attack, I think that's even more of a plus.

It's also more palatable to offer well-intentioned constructive criticism if you offer a truthful pat on the back for something that IS done well first.

If I don't find anything that I like about a fellow hobbiest's build , then I will refrain from commenting at all . Now , if they're asking for a critique, and I have some positive , worthwhile tips or opinions to offer,  then I will offer my ideas / pointers,

I certainly hope that when I get around to sharing my builds , that I will receive both positive * and* negative replies, 

Some other modeling forums I go to have a rule, often clearly stated, that criticism is unacceptable unless a poster specifically asks for it. I think that's a load of bull. If you post a model publicly, I think you should be by default open to constructive criticism.

And by extension, if someone post models only hoping to get atta-boys in return, the responsibility should be on that poster to be up-front and say "no criticism welcome".

Some other modeling forums I go to have a rule, often clearly stated, that criticism is unacceptable unless a poster specifically asks for it. I think that's a load of bull. If you post a model publicly, I think you should be by default open to constructive criticism.

And by extension, if someone post models only hoping to get atta-boys in return, the responsibility should be on that poster to be up-front and say "no criticism welcome".

Well, that is stupid. If you aren't open to criticism, at least a LITTLE bit of criticism, then you should probably avoid the internet. I would imagine that on a forum with rules like that, that builds that have more to criticize than complement go largely uncommented on...any truth to that, or is it just a bunch of "good jobs?"

If you aren't open to criticism, at least a LITTLE bit of criticism, then you should probably avoid the internet.

Exactly right.

If you post your work on a public forum, by definition you have put it out there for the world to see and comment on. To be only willing to accept positive comments is unrealistic. You have posted on a public forum, of your own free will... so you have to understand that the public will now see your work and comment on it, pro or con.

If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't post your work on a public forum. Simple as that.

Perhaps people praise an unworthy model to encourage the builder to build more, so that they might improve in time.

Just a thought, I don't actually do that myself.

We do not know if this is the work of a small child, a challenged person or someone recovering from a stroke.

I have to admit I am guilty of doing this and commenting to be positive but 90 percent are true and I have started skipping builds to no be truthful. I have lately have wanted to point things out nicely and be more truthful. So I do plan to be more honest. I did make a comment on a model that was truthful and it hurt the guy and he had heart problems is why i worry about comments. I do care about people alot. 

Exactly right.

If you post your work on a public forum, by definition you have put it out there for the world to see and comment on. To be only willing to accept positive comments is unrealistic. You have posted on a public forum, of your own free will... so you have to understand that the public will now see your work and comment on it, pro or con.

If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't post your work on a public forum. Simple as that.

Some friends and I call them the "Barney" forums. You know, "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family... etc".

One of the issues is this site has nearly 16,000 registered members, so there are probably close to 16,000 opinions on "the proper" response.

One persons constructive criticism is another's being a jerk. People get bent out of shape every day here. Some that I can recall, not enough comments, meaningless comments, too harsh a criticism, to soft a criticism, including a photo in your signature block, posting a similar model you've built in somebody else's post, not posting photos of your models, where to post, why does this belong over there, the mods are too harsh, the mods are too lenient. It gets to the point that I delete a lot of my responses unless I'm fairly familiar with the person, I'm here for fun not to add to my stress level. 

Edited to add (as the above looks a bit critical and doesn't really address the topic)...

For myself, I try to look for the good, then for things I might be able to use (a technique, source of parts, color of paint etc) and then possibly mention any flaws along with a possible solution. If I don't have a possible fix, then there isn't much point in my bringing it up. 

Edited by Aaronw

Russ, Gregg added that quite a while ago, when we were having problems with some forum members getting too personal or nasty with their "comments." Most of those people are long gone... they either moved on to cause trouble on other forums or they were banned. I don't agree with that disclaimer still being there, but ultimately it's Gregg's call.

Notice though, there is no such disclaimer in the "Under Glass" section.

Ah, OK. I am one of those that reads and (usually) tries to follow the rules.

Thanks,

Russ

Yeah I really watch what I say and how I say it . Most times if it is a poor build i will not comment on it .I like good comments but if someone points out a flaw or error in one of my builds I will check it out and if it is true Iwill acknowledge it.Most of the guys here have excellent tact so I have no real concern.

Perhaps people praise an unworthy model to encourage the builder to build more, so that they might improve in time.

Just a thought, I don't actually do that myself.

Yep there you go you said it all ??

Not everyone is hellbent on building an outstanding model car. Most are just having a relaxing and fun time with the kit and aren't too fussed if their 5th attempt doesn't look much better than the first. I was like that as a kid and sometimes miss that attitude. These casual builders are an important aspect of the model kit business and one of the main reasons there is money to invest in new tooling.

Personally I don't have to like everything about someone's model to say something positive and I certainly don't feel I'm being dishonest in doing so - just supportive. Obviously this won't improve a modeler's skills - but zero comments won't either.

On this forum I think there is a good balance of gentle criticism and "pats on the back".

This topic is concerning compliments given to posts of poorly executed models. When I see this, I wonder if there is any value in receiving compliments....

I look forward to everyone's response.

i think "poorly executed" carries such subjectivity that it would be almost impossible to benchmark.

it's an internet forum and that's all. don't allow the naysayers - or the brown nosers - sway you from your ideals.

enjoy your hobby, and your life.

We got to keep this in mind also.

I agree with you...many people here are challenged builders in one way or another...including me and my builds.  Anyone can use ways to improve their work and learn from constructive criticism done the right way.  I learn something new almost every day myself.  Another thing is we should keep in mind a builders budget to work with some people here are just barely getting by so if they cant make..???   Everyone has their drawbacks to building rather its skill level,experience,funds,age young or old,challenges,etc. Done properly we can all learn from each other here...I myself tend to try to be supportive of others work not to discourage anyone.

Edited by disabled modeler

Maybe it's a semantic difference to most people, but to me, there is a difference between criticism and critique.

Criticism tends to focus on the builder, and is easy to take personally ie "your painting skills could use some work".

Critique focuses on the object at hand ie "A polishing kit could help remove some of that orange peel and help this paintjob to really shine".

Maybe it's just the negative connotation that the word "criticism" bears, but I think it's worth thinking about alternate ways to praise/help other modelers without discouraging them. After all, it's just a hobby.

So that said...sometimes I'll praise a model that is crudely constructed but built with honest optimism and a great central idea..you know, the "full of ideas, low skill" kind of build.

I'll also make positive comments about subjects that impress me personally, even if I know nothing about the subject (ie replica stock, armor, ships, planes...I have no idea if those things are built accurately, but if I like what I see, then I'm going to say something).

I try not to make blanket negative statements. I AM guilty of passing over builds that have so few redeeming qualities that I can't think of anything nice to say right now, but not many of those builds turn up on these forums!

Nobody wants to be "that guy" and be a downer. But think: if a model is posted with garden-hose spark plug lines, maybe the builder doesn't have anything else on hand. I certainly didn't when I was 10 years old and enthusiastic but uninformed. This would be a perfect place to gently point out that the lines are out of scale, and that appropriately thin wires can be found in almost any cheap set of headphones, or other lightweight consumer electronics!

As far as comments go, I don't think anyone needs to receive superior attaboys as their skill level rises. If I wanted that, I'd go play video games!!

Praising mediocrity can definitely be seen as a modern-day ill. But we're all in this for different reasons, and have different expectations, and sometimes just being cordial to a person we feel has "low standards" can help make the world a less discouraging place.

Maybe the best thing to remember before offering commentary on anyone's work is to simply apply the Golden Rule.

Read through your comment before you post it, and think how YOU would feel if someone said it to you...and try to remember that not everyone is as tough or as confident as you may be too.

But you know, this is almost a non-issue here. I rarely see an unkind comment regarding anyone's models.

Not everyone is hellbent on building an outstanding model car. Most are just having a relaxing and fun time with the kit and aren't too fussed if their 5th attempt doesn't look much better than the first. I was like that as a kid and sometimes miss that attitude. These casual builders are an important aspect of the model kit business and one of the main reasons there is money to invest in new tooling.

Personally I don't have to like everything about someone's model to say something positive and I certainly don't feel I'm being dishonest in doing so - just supportive. Obviously this won't improve a modeler's skills - but zero comments won't either.

On this forum I think there is a good balance of gentle criticism and "pats on the back".

This is a good point as well. On an aircraft forum I used to belong to there was an older gentleman who liked to build the unusual and rare, prototypes, odd variants etc. So his models typically involved lots of kit bashing and scratchbuilding. Very cool concepts and a lot of attention to the details, but the finishing skills were somewhat lacking either due to age or possibly never developed. Still very cool models, even not that good from a fit and finish view point.

Sometimes I see the same kind of thing here, really neat ideas that don't quite come together either due to a lack of skills or just an off day. There is more to a model car than perfect paint, a lack of mold lines and alternators with an obvious method of support. Not to say suggestions to help in these areas should be discouraged, but the creative aspect shouldn't be overlooked in the rush to comment on the technical side.

Sounds like a real good reason to bring back the "preview post button"

I think the "preview" function may not be available on this particular forum platform. They don't all have the same capabilities, and this one is different from the last one.

Still, it's not difficult to read through what you've written BEFORE you hit the "post" button, is it?

And if you have a change of heart, the "edit" function works. A little glitchy sometimes, but it works.

I can tell you why. Because there is no worse feeling than to be ignored among people you respect or admire. I mean if Joe-14yr-old posted up his first build with orange peel and glue on the windshield and mounting tabs visible on the bumpers and NO ONE SAID ANYTHING, like as not, that would be his last model. I mean, can you imagine anything more disheartening?

So because I know that feeling, I will find something I like about the model and compliment it. I will occasionally offer advice, but most often not. 

I think I fall squarely into this camp as well. As a comparative newbie here, I have very little confidence that my own feeble attempts are "up to par", so I tend to gravitate toward offering compliments about what I do like about a less than stellar model, as I feel those modelers need the encouragement and support, as do I. On this and all other modeling forums I'm active on, when I see something really bad, I usually just say nothing, and move on.

...Sometimes I see the same kind of thing here, really neat ideas that don't quite come together either due to a lack of skills or just an off day. There is more to a model car than perfect paint, a lack of mold lines and alternators with an obvious method of support. Not to say suggestions to help in these areas should be discouraged, but the creative aspect shouldn't be overlooked in the rush to comment on the technical side.

Which is exactly why I respectfully suggested earlier that it would be good to try to find something about the model that IS worthy of praise. I've often been surprised and even inspired by very original and creative concepts and ideas that weren't particularly well executed technically.

You can sincerely praise the IDEA even if the execution leaves much room for improvement.